PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I know it isnt supposed to be released for another week or two but I was wondering if anyone on here got to try it pre-release and what they thought of it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I remember seeing these in the Pipes and Cigars catalog.
I'm always skeptical of, and slightly annoyed by (doesn't take much these days, lol), lines of tobacco that seem to be nothing but an additional product line for a company that mainly produces something other than pipe tobacco. Castello, Savinelli, Brigham... are any of these blends really necessary? Maybe there are some good ones in the bunch, but they always seem so uninspired to me. I'm just grumbling, maybe, but I don't think I'm alone.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I totally agree with you rothnh, I was just moaning and groaning over them only having two non-aro tins. I wasnt a huge fan of their cigars but... Well, I'd have to say it will probably take a lot to keep me from even trying ONE tin.
I most certainly see what you are saying Pitchfork, however, they DO produce tobacco products otherwise so it isnt much of a stretch to see them expand into tobacco. Granted they are most famous for Acid cigars so that might tell us something about the final product...

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
If there cigars are any indication on how there pipe tobacco will be, I will not be buying any anytime soon or ever for that matter.

~Ron

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
At the Smokers Haven pre NASPC show they had the Drew Estate pipe tobaccos there. They seemed to be getting good responses. They are not like their cigars with the perfume but looked to be high quality aromatics. The Meat Pie is actually an English blend and smelled good in the tin. I did not try it but it also was getting good responses.
They did not have the VAPER blend available, that is the one I wanted to try.
Their rep said they have more planned and have been wanting to get into the pipe tobacco market for awhile. The tobaccos seemed to be high quality and not overly gooped up aromatics. Time will tell, I guess. They are definitely not like their cigars though.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I have met, smoked cigars & had dinner with Steve Saka, nice guy. Best thing he did in his life was leave DE.
I have back ordered one of each pipe tobacco that DE will be putting out. I don't expect much, I don't expect to buy them again. I will be happy to supply samples of these tobaccos (including postage) when they arrive to who ever may want to try them. Only catch is, you must do an honest review of each style you try.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
You got it Roth. I'm only home on weekends (at most) for the next month or so. When the tobacco arrives, I'll drop you a PM.
The offer is good for anyone for any style(s).
side note: The cigars I smoked with Steve, were "my" creations. He liked them enough to take a pocket full home with him. They were a 10 and 12 tobacco blends from filler to wrapper. Some say they are very similar to his Liga Privada line that came out about 10 years later.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Based on mrenglish and roth's recent post I might have to take you up on the offer as well pryo, who knows if it's not perfume like, like in there cigars it might go somewhat well.

~Ron

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Also one a relative side note where would one acquire wrapping tobacco for cigars pyro.

~Ron

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I would definitely love to try the VAPER they have coming out.
Your cigars sound very good. I enjoy the Liga Privada but only smoke them on special occasions, they are silly expensive.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
At the Smokers Haven pre NASPC show they had the Drew Estate pipe tobaccos there. They seemed to be getting good responses. They are not like their cigars with the perfume but looked to be high quality aromatics. The Meat Pie is actually an English blend and smelled good in the tin. I did not try it but it also was getting good responses.
They did not have the VAPER blend available, that is the one I wanted to try.
Their rep said they have more planned and have been wanting to get into the pipe tobacco market for awhile. The tobaccos seemed to be high quality and not overly gooped up aromatics. Time will tell, I guess. They are definitely not like their cigars though.
I was at the Smokers Haven party and consumed more than my fair share of the DE tobacco. The 7th Avenue Blonde was very nice and the Meat Pie was excellent. I look forward to stocking up on the Meat Pie. I had a great time meeting folks I had heard of on here and talking with Pat from MM pipes. The band was a nice touch to the evening.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
UPDATE: My order for most of the D.E. tobaccos arrived. If anyone is still interested in trying any of the following blends, just drop me a private message with which type(s) you wish to try and your mailing address.
Also, the D.E Gilded Age has been dropped from the line (at least from where I purchased from). I received the following email: Thank you for choosing (removed name). We apologize for the manufacturer delay on your order of the D.E Gilded Age Pipe Tobacco. It has just been brought to our attention, that due to manufacturer production issues this blend of pipe tobacco will not be available. We have not processed payment for this item, and are offering to replace with another blend of your choice. If you do not wish to replace at this time, we will still have to remove the item and will issue a $5 gift card for the inconvenience.
7 available to sample:
Drew Estate 7th Avenue Blonde

Drew Estate Central Park Stroll

Drew Estate Grand Central

Drew Estate Harvest On Hudson

Drew Estate Heirloom Cherry Jam

Drew Estate Meat Pie

Drew Estate Toasted Black Cavendish

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I remember when Steve took the job with DE, a bunch of us busted his balls big time. I have smoked cigars with Steve a number of times and he is a funny bastard. He can be a little full of himself but he does know his shit and is generally a good guy. A good friend of mine took a job with DE years ago and is still with them, he was the N.E rep and I think he is now a national sales manager last time I heard.
In regards to their cigars, when they first came out, serious cigar smokers would have nothing to do with their flavored stuff, but they created a niche market and are very successful, you have to give them credit for that. I would assume that their tobacco blends are probably made from high quality tobacco as they do not cheap out when it comes to their leaf.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have a couple of Drew Estate blends on order - looking forward to receiving them. Will let you know what I think after I've got them, but my reviews are usually like or dislike, will try to do better.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
They dropped the one I was really looking forward to but I suppose I'll have to try the Meat Pie just to say I gave the brand a shot. The only Aro I've even remotely liked has been the Erinmore Flake and Drew Estate doesnt seem to be in that subtle style with their blends

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Just like the DE cigars that I'm not interested in, I'm also not interested in any of these blends. Especially with names like "Meat Pie." Really, that's the best they could come up with. As for the pipe tobacco, I think they have some hype around them now for the simple fact that they are a DE product and DE is very popular in the cigar industry. Other then Under Crowns and Liga Privada cigars, I have no interest in DE. Acids are the worst cigars ever made, and for the life of me I can not understand why they charge so much for those nasty cigars.
Eventually if these tobacco's get enough positive reviews and I come across them I might give some a try, but I'm not going out of my way to get them.

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
I have smoked 3 thus far--7th Ave. Blond, Grand Central, and Harvest on the Hudson. I like the latter two, but the 7th Ave Blond was just too sweet. the other two were quite nice, although again the Grand Central is rather sweet but not sickening. I have to say so far my favorite is the Harvest on the Hudson, even though the tin note kind of makes your eyes water.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I had the pleasure of sampling some of the Harvest on Hudson from a complimentary tin. While aromatics aren't usually my cuppa, this was surprisingly good, on par with Peterson aromatics; a nice apple cider tin note that translated to the smoke somewhat, and you could actually taste the burley ( high quality, no lawn clipping/compost leaves/cheap stale cigar type ). Made in Denmark by STG but it wasn't McBaren-ish.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
@rcstan That sounds pretty damned good... You might have convinced me to give that one a try. I'm not a huge aro guy myself. The heavily flavored ones make me gag and want to cry in a corner but I am a HUGE fan of Erinmore Flake but that seems to be about it as of yet. I have 2013 W.O. Larsen on the way so I guess we will see...

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
burlpettibon, this will have more flavoring than EF but not of the goopy "drugstore" variety. The sample I tried was from a tin the fellow at work ( SPC ) had opened for a couple days , I presume, for about a third was gone from it. I usually let dry most blends to some extent before smoking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.