PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Evening all. So got my first Author pipe off ebay(a Krone Bruyere), was quite excited about it. Came in and it looked exactly like the pictures, so far so good. Started inspecting it further and it got strange. It has two air passages that come into the top of the mortise and come out into the bowl about a centimeter from the bottom of the bowl. They both don't even come in to the bowl evenly one is slightly higher then the other. Both air passages are 3/32 in size. Wondering if I got a lemon of a pipe here. Or is this just some exotic design I have never heard of????

s-l1600-4-600x397.jpg

dscf1894-600x450.jpg

dscf1896-600x450.jpg

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I’m of no help here, my apologies. I have seen numerous missed drilled pipes but nothing like this.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never seen anything like that. Since it has a stamp and a brand, I'd guess it is some kind of unusual design to give two airways. I've seen side-by-side stem airways, but not in the briar itself. Smoke it and see. It might do fine.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I suspect that the dual airway is deliberate. A number of makers tried out variations that they believed would give a better smoke. I checked my various sources but couldn't come up with anything definitive. W. O. Larsen sold a line called Krone-Larsen which had acrylic stems, but I couldn't locate any images. Krone is Danish for crown and bruyere is French for briar. The pipe also has a D and M in the crown according to the description that I read.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice looking briar- bruyere. I had an old GBD with twin chamber holes similar to that. It looks too deliberate to be a mistake.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It has two air passages that come into the top of the mortise and come out into the bowl about a centimeter from the bottom of the bowl. They both don't even come in to the bowl evenly one is slightly higher then the other. Both air passages are 3/32 in size.
That one is higher than the other is to assuage those that complain about the airway being too low in the heel, and the lower one is to assuage those who think it must be flush with the bottom of the heel.
Kinda kidding, but I think your pipe is just fine, and love to see photos when, if or as you restore the finish.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I also have an old swiss straight pipe that has the same drilling. I read about it in a Pipe Lover's magazine as well. They guy was saying he preferred it when making his own pipes. I can't remember much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.