Anyone Taken Advantage of The Dunhill Sale?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Incase you didn't see, smokingpipes.com has a buy 4 of one blend of dunhill tobacco and get one free. Yesterday I ordered 5 Nightcap. That will make 7 Nightcaps I have on hand, and I have yet to try it. Why then? I have read so many reviews (which I know isn't enough to go by) and recently discovered how much I love English blends, and also, if I don't like it or want more London Mixtures or something else, I know there are a lot of people who love Nightcap and I could probably do some swaps or something.
Anyway, good deal IMO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you like full strength tobacco, you will probably like Nightcap. A few suggestions for getting your feet wet. I'd start with a smaller

bowl pipe, if you have one, or with a partial bowl. Go at it a little easy. It won't knock you over, but it is full strength. Try to be a

sipper, not a puffer, at first. And if it seems a little heady at first, let it age a big. I don't think you'll find 7 tins too many at all. Just

don't overdo it and turn off before you've given it a good chance, and I think you'll really like it. Also, keep your household in mind,

too. If you have a choice of smoking outdoors, do that for starters anyway. With all of the good things about Nightcap, room note

isn't one of them. Good buy. If you're going to jump in with both feet on anything, a Dunhill tin or seven is probably the way to go.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I was thinkging about it but I find myself leaning away from latakia blends for some reason. If Frog Morton goes on sale like this I might just fill my cellar :p

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Here's the thing with the smokingpipes.com deal, Canadian members take note:

When capitalizing on this deal, you need to order 5 tins, and the fifth tin gets discounted. With Canadian orders, this bumps the package size up from a small box to a small/medium box and is listed in the customs form as 250g of tobacco (50g over the recommended limit of mail order tobacco). I have found that the small boxes of 4 tins of tobacco passes very quickly through customs without any attention being zeroed in on it. With larger packages, and a declaration of 250g, it usually warrants a higher percentage of getting inspected/duty/opening. Having spoken to many Canadian Post Workers, the amount of small packages vs. larger packages is rather larger, and the odds of it getting randomly grabbed and taxed is low. Larger packages have a higher percentage of getting inspected...but once again it is all RANDOM.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great deal, and having said all of that, I have jumped in on the deal to stock up on some flake and early morning!
So to answer the OP, yes, yes indeed...

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Hmm, well I might get dinged for the first time, that sucks. We'll soon find out

popsmusix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
Yes I did! I added 5 tins of Dunhill Flake and 3 tins of Presbyterian to my cellar. Also got me some pipe cleaners.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
yep got 5 tins of My Mixture 965... I would be up for a trade of a can of Nightcap, to try.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Pretty sure I got dinged, I don't have the tobacco yet, but suddenly there was $50 charged to my credit card from Canada Post in Ottowa (i'm in saskatchewan). How the heck do they have access to my mastercard that they can just straight up charge me? I don't know what else I could have been charged from.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
That doesn't sound kosher loseth, I would look into that and let us know. The last thing we need is Canada Post charging us without approval...

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Wow loseth, they got your numbers huh?
Wait until that internet sales tax hits!!
Tax savings pays shipping costs was the good ole days of internet purchases.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
@loseth:

That's not Canada Post...you should check on who's using your credit card. Canada Post will only ask for money on your doorstep (or at the post office if you have to go get it). I just got my Dunhill Flake, London Mixture, and Navy Rolls (3 separate deliveries) today and no duty/GST. Ironically, they dinged me on 4 tins of Orlik GS last week.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
On my mastercard it definitely says Canada Post, I didn't pay Canada post anything, so I don't know what else it would be.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Not to belabor the point, but when I had a card compromised my bank called me right away since the perp tried to buy something really far from me. Ottawa is nowhere close to Sask, but if it's a Canada Post charge they may not have flagged it as suspicious...

Dec 24, 2012
I also succumbed to the sale , 5 Dunhill Flake and a side order of 6 Wesswx GVF, love that stuff.
Hey Bradley - curious to know how you think the Dunhill Flake compares to the Wessex GVF - some folks think they are pretty close to one another in terms of taste and I was curious to know your thoughts.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I did call Mastercard, theres not much they can do without me calling Canada Post first to see what was charged, and how. I can claim something or other and mastercard will file a dispute. I don'w want to cancel my card and say my card information has been stolen without knowing what was charged. What if it is the duties, its about the right amount, but if it is then I need to find out how they had access to my number without my permission.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Peck to me the Wessex has a cleaner, little sweeter taste, mild, yet a little punch, I like it not too dry, cube cut, for my taste it Isn"t at all like Dunhill NF.

Status
Not open for further replies.