PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Someone sent me a link to this site. The second from the last post on this page seems to be talking about me, but I can't for the life of me discern what they are saying. Just curious.
http://www.zigarrenforum-online.de/showthread.php?p=237720

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
+1 on the but with pipes he has much better taste.

You are a legend even in Germany. :clap: And someone picked on my little 135 lbs! thats nothing to your 600+ pounds!

Dec 24, 2012
Are they suggesting I have no taste in tobacco? And how would they know what kind of taste I have in pipes? This internet thing is scaring the shit out of me, lol.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
In a nutshell the post is "Show Us Your Tobacco Collection". They are talking about what they have and the guy (bavarianman) posts to you stash. And YES I think they are saying you have no taste in tobacco,but good taste in pipes. I checked out your list and actually think you have pretty good taste! Except for the MacBaren Burley London Blend, that you should just give to me! :)

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
The lack of Captain Black, of any colour, on that list clinches it Peck... NEIN!

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Using Google Translate, I'd say it appears the bulk of the conversation in the thread is about tobacco storage ... I was intrigued by the line about you having better taste in pipes, so I translated all of the remarks ... my best guess is that your large storage and detailed records are why you've come up in conversation ... one of the downsides in using a tool such as Google Translate is that local idioms don't translate at all well ... which is why, when US companies build foreign language Websites, they employ local translators to do the translations in order to avoid creating the sort of oddball phrase that causes you to wonder what they're comparing your taste in pipes to ...
For you to get a better feel for what is being said in this thread, you really DO need to get someone who is fluent in German to do the translation ... we who trust in tools such as Google translate can't really do an accurate job of understanding them, even knowing the literal translation ... like yourself, we're all left to wonder what the hell peanut cans means and just what it is about your taste that is not on a par with your taste in pipes ...

Dec 24, 2012
By "peanut cans" perhaps they are dissing the C&D/GL Pease/Mc type tins? This is really bizarre. Still not sure how they would know what my taste is in pipes.
Someone needs to be Geschmacked in the head.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
Someone needs to be Geschmacked in the head.
Feel free to lift this carping gif for your Geschmacking activities. :mrgreen:
fishslap.gif

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Stop spreak'n zee Englesh!
Sorry, I couldn't help myself when I saw an opportunity to quote a famous movie quote :)

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Here's the post:

275 kg - das meiste aber in Erdnussdosen.
Bei Pfeifen hat er aber einen viel besseren Geschmack
http://tobaccocellar.com/peckinpahhombre
Herewith the translation:

275 kg, however most of it is peanuts. (NB: not peanut cans, but peanuts --I.e., a derogatory reference to the quality of your tobaccos.)

However, his taste in pipes is significantly better.

Geschmack means "taste."

Hope this helps.

As a native German speaker, I'm always amused when people use Google translate. The results are sometimes quite interesting, as when someone tried to translate the phrase "out of sight, out of mind," into Russian, and it came out as "hidden and insane."

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks Rav. I wonder what he considers so awful about my tobacco stash. I mean, yeah, I have a few crappy blends in there, but a large chunk consists of high quality VA blends. What do folks in Germany smoke that is so much different than what I have in my cellar? What would they consider a good, high quality blend?

Dec 24, 2012
I just read online that David Hasselhoff and his music are huge in Germany. That probably tells me all I need to know about why they don't like my tobacco choices.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I would take your 600lbs over any Internet forum opinion any day. :) but yes, you do have great taste in pipes. :)

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
So... are the Germans smoking out of your stash? No? Who cares, more for you!
And, yes, it is both neat and unsettling that people who you have never met nor interacted with are talking about you. Wonders of the Web and all that, I guess.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Just remember that the Germans are smoking a lot of the Planta fruit flavored blends. Marula fruit was very popular there last year--whatever the heck that is. I tried a couple of bowls and was ready to swear off pipe smoking. (my apologies to anyone here who likes it.)

Bottom line, Peck, your collection is superb, one that is highly respected and indeed even admired by most of us on this forum. Cross the pond, and it's a different story entirely. God only knows what they're smoking, or what they regard as a top-notch tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.