Anyone Smoking -- and Liking -- the Three Star Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This came to me when replying to something unrelated in another thread: I can't recall ever seeing any mention here --favorable or not -- of Iwan Ries's several Three Star Blends. I'm not a fan myself, but I thought these were pretty popular blends.
Or maybe my perception is colored by spending so many years in Chicagoland, where you could walk into any Walgreens and find Three Star Blue, Three Star Red, Three Star White, etc. with all the other drugstore tobacco.
Any fans? Or are these blends not even known much outside of the Chicago area?
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I tried a few of the 3 Stars a few years back, and was not super impressed. I had some Private Blend, though, earlier this year,and enjoyed it. That could be a repeat - a good solid burley.

Not sure why IRC blends don't get much notice here, except that a good number of the members seem to only shop at advertisers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like Iwan Ries as a pipe retailer and have bought several pipes from them. Their English blend,

I think it's Blue Star, seems a little rough to me. I can do Dunhill 965, or Nightcap for a slight nicotine

buzz, or others that are more subtle, like Nat Sherman or Altadis Fox and Hound. I might try another

blend some time. But that one I ended up cutting with burley to smoke it.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I've got two pouches of their Three Star China Black Vanilla Burley that came with some other stuff as a BOGO deal. Got it because it was cheap, still have it because I didn't find much to like about it.
But then (to be fair), I'm not an aromatic smoker by any stretch so... Not a fair judge.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
10 years ago (when I smoked nothing but aromatics) I tried it and thought it was pretty weak.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
You can still get 3 Star blue at Walgreens and some tobacco shops here (Lake County, IL between Chicago and Wisconsin). My dad would smoke Blue from time to time. I've had a pouch of it and enjoyed it each time I smoked it. It is a fairly distinct tobacco, the smell reminds me of my childhood.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm pretty far removed from the Chicago area and have smoked 3 Star Blue for many years. I've extolled its virtues on this site more than once. That company has been serving the piper a lot of years now and I suspect they know their market pretty well after all these years.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
It was Three Star Blue that taught me to sip tobacco slowly. Any faster than that and you'll die – or wish you had. Smoked this way, Blue becomes a delightful and mild smoke with a spectacular room note. I have applied the lessons learned from this tobacco to every bowl I have smoked since.

Status
Not open for further replies.