Anyone Smoked One Of Tom Eltangs Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I was perusing Smoking Pipes online today and came across four different Tom Eltang blends.
They consist of: "English", Mixture", "Sweet and Mellow", "Virginia".
The Virginia is described as: The natural sweetness and appealing fragrance of red and bright Virginias take the center stage of this beautiful ribbon-cut Eltang blend with a small amount of Burley added to enhance a cool smoking experience.
Has anyone tried some or all of these blends?
I guess I have had my head in the sand. I was not even aware of them.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I haven't had any, but they all have pretty mediocre reviews on Tobacco Reviews, unfortunately. I think it was kind of a flop for Cornell & Diehl, who produced them. The "Mixture" is the only one that really appeals to me at all.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I topped the reviews I did while a newbie. A year later I have not bought anymore, to many other superior blends out there.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Those blends were doomed from the beginning. I read up on their conception a while back and all four were thrown together over a visit to the US by TE. So, 4 blends were 'perfected' over the course of 2 or 3 days. I can see why they weren't great. GLP spends months perfecting each of his blends and it shows. I don't blame C&D for this failure; it really seems like they were half-heartedly just going along with TE on this one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
zito's reviews here on Forums in the last few days haven't exactly embedded the Eltang blends on my list nor sent me to the online retailers to place an order. With the likes of GLP Westminster and McC's Dark Star waiting to be opened, I don't need a tin of so-so blend languishing on the shelf. If anyone has a rave review on an Eltang blend I'm willing to read it.

MSO, nothing too see here, keep moving. Not worth it, IMO. But, I would be curious as to who would like it, so that I can weigh that in with the rest of their reviews, ha ha! The Eltangs weren't awful, just too... "average" and "blah" for a blend with such an awesome name on the tin. What sales C&D made on this was merely in name recognition, IMO.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks on the input guys! It is a big market and it really helps to reach out and get some advice from everybody.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
The Eltangs weren't awful, just too... "average" and "blah" for a blend with such an awesome name on the tin.
Exactly. Not bad, just not at all distinct or exceptional, and certainly not up to par with Tom's pipe offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.