PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I am in a situation where I have a little bit of extra cash, and with the cold weather coming in the next few months, I want to order a fairly good quantity of a Latakia blend, something that has solid taste and is a good everyday Latakia smoke. I did some research about F&K blends and was wondering if anyone has tried any of their bulk blends. Someone on youtube spoke fairly highly of their Lancer Slices, and I was reading about their Black Bayou Mist, which has Latakia, Dark Fired Kentucky and Perique, which sounds like heaven to me, very similar to Cornell and Diehls Montford Point Marine which is a fantastic smoke. Their blends are pretty cheap when bought in quantity, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the aforementioned blends and what you thought of them. Thanks guys!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
PN - yup, the F&K Charles Fairmorn series is an excellent value, and excellent in their own right. Lancer's, Black Bayou Mist and Balkan Sterling all occupy my Top100 cellar. They are among its earliest inhabitants. I even like their tinned, fancifully appellated Merde de Cheval. Another packaged English is Sundowner, but somehow this one doesn't appeal to me that much.
BBM is not as potent as MPM.
hp

les

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I was wondering the same thing. In fact, I have a sample of balkan sterling on the way. If you want an inexpensive all day smoke, read the reviews of PS balkan Supreme. Its super cheap and fantastic. If you get that Black Bayou Mist, Let me know what you think. I am dying to know about any tobacco with Dark Fired in it. I bought a half pound of Dark Fired whole leave and I'll be damned if I can find a use for it...

Jul 15, 2011
BBM is not as potent as MPM.
That's a little disappointing to hear, because in all honesty the potency of MPM was one of the selling points for me. Lancer Slices sounds like it could be a good smoke, good latakia content, and it is just latakia and Virginia if I read correctly, so there aren't a ton of components to weigh down the smoke. I just want something simple, honest, affordable, with a good latakia content for when the weather gets cold. I might order a couple of ounces to see if I like it. Anyone else have any experience with these blends?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
No, but I am considering Lancer's Slices for the same reasons you have outlined. I hope there is enough character in the Virginia to keep the LS interesting in spite of the simplicity of its ingredients... That uncertainty is the only reason why I've held off, to date.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Lancer Slices Review
I Smoke lancer slices, it's the only tobacco from F&K that I smoke and it's wonderful and inexpensive, I bought 4oz and will always keep this on hand for it's value and flavorful taste.
EDIT- I have some chopped up lancer slices and mix it in my other blends to add character to my aro's. I believe that you will not be disappointed if you order, I ordered it on the blind and wish I would of discovered it sooner.

Jul 15, 2011
No, but I am considering Lancer's Slices for the same reasons you have outlined. I hope there is enough character in the Virginia to keep the LS interesting in spite of the simplicity of its ingredients... That uncertainty is the only reason why I've held off, to date.
I have come to find that I love the taste of Lat, and I like it in a fairly good portion, roughly 50-60%. Anything less than that just doesn't taste as good to me, anything more than that and the flavor starts to get one dimensional. The big upside for me is that the tobacco is pressed, which I'm sure will help to give the blend some character and marry the flavors a little bit. I have some Stokkebye Balkan Supreme to try out too, so I'll see how I like that, but I will definitely try out some Lancer Slices to see what it's all about. The fact that lestrout said that BBM wasnt as potent as Montford Point Marine kind of steered me away from that blend.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm fairly similar.
I love the taste of latakia but I become desensitized to its flavour by smoking it for any length of time. The rich smoky incense quality becomes replaced by an ashiness that I despise...
I think that blends with greater proportions of latakia "last" a little bit longer for me, but I have not fully discovered the reasons for my sudden change of taste. (This has happened with many good blends within the span of a week so I doubt the tobacco went stale)
I ordered 4oz PS Balkan Supreme and for 7-8 days it was my favourite tobacco of all time; I was super impressed with its value. The price-to-quality ratio is tough to beat. Unfortunately, however, by the time I was halfway through my jar it suffered the same fate as all lat blends and I still have 2oz sitting around in a bail-top. I'll have to try it again to see if I still feel the same way.
As a result of my fickle tastebuds, I have virtually stopped buying English/Balkan blends for a long time but I am just now trying to get reacquainted with them. I'm going to attempt to stay over 50% latakia, starting with GLP Odyssey. If that is a hit, I may look at Lancer's Slices among others... (I will be even more strict with the cleaning of my pipes and I will try to rotate the Balkan with lighter blends to keep from growing accustomed to the pleasant campfire flavours)

Jul 15, 2011
I generally love the taste of latakia, but when the weather is warm outside it just doesn't hit my tastebuds the way it should, and I know of a lot of other smokers who don't smoke lat when it is hot outside. This summer I have been leaning toward Burley heavy blends and a good quality aro every once in a while, but the nights have been getting a little cooler here and lat just does the trick for me. I've decided to pull the trigger on some Lancer Slices and see how I like it. I will definitely do a review once I get it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Sterling Balkan is very very good although a bit strong to make it a daily ( 5-6 bowls ) habit .... I get nicked-out after a couple bowls. When I get the Alaska PFD check a 500 g package is on the list.
I ordered an ounce of Lancer Slices with my last TAD order, it should be here mid next week.
No input on Black Bayou Mist since Englishes with Perique aren't my cuppa.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Lancer Slices...a most exceptional blend. Fresh in the bulk bag, you'll note a really powerful essence; in a good way if you like latakia.
With respect to the cellar, it ages very well. However, with the notable presence, and once apportioned into jars, I separate it from the other non-latakia blends to ensure there is no cross contamination.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Ok, I received my sample of Sterling Balkan and it is fantastic. I like it as much as Black Houser(sorry baron.lol) I will smoke the rest of my sample this week and post a review. As of now i am absolutely impressed strait out of the bag....

Status
Not open for further replies.