PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Please, no political flaming but am curious if there are specific questions they ask in the application process about smoking. My guess is that they won't differentiate between Cigarettes and Pipes. Would be curious to see what a premium costs as a smoker and one without.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Tell them you don't smoke cigarette and cigars and leave it at that. Fess up if they ask more, if not you didn't lie! That's what I told my Dr, but then my Wife Pimped on me, 50 yrs Zon I thought she was my Bud. Scheech! :laughat:

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Ditto petesO3.

I had my check-up and the Doc asked me if I was a smoker. I answered "I had never smoked a cigarette and smoke a couple of cigars a year (the truth)" He put me down as a nonsmoker.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I knew all my insurance licenses would come in handy...The definition of a smoker under Obamacare is someone who smokes more than 4 times a week during the previous 6 months. If you hit that threshold, your rates can be bumped 50% over the base premiums...The real kicker is that if you have a modest income and qualify for subsidies, the tobacco penalty is not eligible for subsidies. If you have a heavily subsidized plan, you could see a 2 or 3 times increase due to the penalty....

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I've never, ever been asked if I smoke to get insurance.
Years ago I was on government insurance due to crappy times. Still not asked if I smoked.
Is this an age thing?

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
ask them if crack counts? seems the in thing for politicians in Canada now * rob ford, Mayor of Toronto*

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
On my new doctor's form it asked if I smoked cigerettes. No to that one, therefore I'm a non-smoker. (My old doctor retired - too many regs with ObamaCare.)

Status
Not open for further replies.