PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
So I was at a bar I frequent here in Japan and pulled out my pipe and lit her up when much to my surprise the owner said he used to smoke a pipe years ago. I handed it to him so he could take a couple of puffs. He used a strange technique that I have not seen or heard of. He put his thumb over the bowl and would take a few puffs while raising his thumb just off the bowl. It's hard to explain and I am sorry if this doesn't make any sense. Does anyone know what he was doing and why?

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I grip with my thumb and ring finger, and tap the bowl top with the two fingers between. Never seen anyone else do this and not sure why I do, just another part of the smoke for me.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I have used this techque for many years. It helps if you only have a slight ember to work with when tapping is not needed. I use my fingers the forefinger and middle finger.
Mike.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I use a similar technique after tamping, if the tobacco starts going out, to help "fire it up" instead of puffing like a freight train. May increase the Venturi effect.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I do this as well when my pipe starts going out. It seems to rejuvenate the pipe a bit and get it going stronger.

Jan 8, 2013
I do it. And it works. If I think my embers are going out I use either my thumb, my index finger, or index and middle finger, depending on how stubborn the embers are being.

pipesdownunder

Might Stick Around
Nov 3, 2013
I do this. I find it gives a bit of a tighter draw which 'feels' good (on occasion) and helps a dwindling ember.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Just like Samcoffeeman, I too learned this technique in my college days with other combustable materials. But I still use it today, and I find it works well.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
rigmedic1 +1 -- the ember gets more oxygen because the technique increases the velocity of a given volume of air that you're pulling through the draft. What the heck! Don't you guys watch The Big Bang Theory?

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I am doing that sometimes, when I cannot light, e.g. while driving, but what I found even more interesting, was handing the pipe to a complete stranger and letting him have a few puffs. I would never do that, but is this common in other parts of the world?
Kind regards,

Peter

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Thanks for the great response guys! Now I have started doing it and just like everyone has said it keeps the ember alive. @peter70, I have known this man for 2 years. He owns quite a famous Japanese style bar in my town. Though, I have let strangers take a few puffs as well in hopes of recruiting them to the art. :D

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I use the "carb" technique. I have been doing this for years and find it gives a good bump with the embers.

Better draw and saves on relights.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Question- doesn't this "carb" technique unevenly overheat the tobacco? I've been of the impression it's better to allow the pipe to go out and do an even relight than try to resuscitate a dying bowl...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've done this since I began smoking a pipe; however, I use my index and middle fingers mostly. Sometimes I'll use my thumb depending on how I'm holding the pipe, but usually my fingers. Its an easy way to keep your embers going, or to revive the embers that are dying out.

Status
Not open for further replies.