PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hi hi! So I was wondering if anyone else is an active RV'er. My wife and I have jumped up from a, '84 Terry travel trailer to something much larger. She is a teacher and I am student teaching to become a teacher. We will use ours for short trips in the winter due the the PNW's mild weather, but plan to be on the road full time July 1st though August 7th.
Since we upgraded to a 44 foot fifth wheel, I would appreciate any pointers you can give. In particular, what RV GPS do you use. As indicated in the pictures below, since it is a toy hauler (extra tall) with 3 AC units (even taller) I pretty much have to use the same routes truckers do (CA and NM was too far for a weekend turn and burn. We got financing on the anniversary of my mom's passing (3 years ago), stopped to see her resting spot on the way, and just felt more connected to her that week than usual. With the "V" logo everywhere, we named our RV after my mum, Virginia.
Floor Plan:
floor-plan-600x197.jpg

Room for everything! Upper middle, next to kitchen is the boys' room. It has full sized bunk beds. We can banish their mouth teen behinds into their bedroom and enjoy comfortable living. Plus, the back drops down into an 8' deck with railing to enjoy the stars.
Passenger side look:
p-a-600x291.jpg

The thing is looong. I got acquainted with truck stops and other trucking stuff on the way to Vancouver, WA from Billings. Love it. The truck pulled it like a champ. With the exhaust brake, I came down lookout pass and never hit the brakes once. God I love that Ram! It has a 6 speed manual transmission, too!
Front on-ish:
d-a-291x600.jpg

It seriously is as tall as a standard semi. Should make for interesting navigation. Don't want to use a trucker GPS though because the damn things beep when you go over 60. I go *slightly* over 60.
Oh, went with the Anderson Ultimate Hitch. Makes things super easy and I can pop off the 5'er adapter and haul gooseneck trailers. I like options.
Back:
b-a-600x291.jpg

The back.
Thanks for looking and seriously, would love to hear from you if you have experience with big RV's.
:puffpipe:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Well I no longer spend money on trivial things like lattes, eating fast food, or tobacco ( :crying: ), so overall my health is in for an upgrade and I can put that $$ towards our fuel fund for the summer. lol

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Very nice rig. A few years ago, it was time to replace my pickup and I went with a Ford Superduty, thinking I may want to do some RVing in the future. Haven't pulled the trigger though and probably won't. Pipe smoking has made me somewhat "laid back" I guess. At least that's my story.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Because I waited so long to upgrade (I went from a '93 Ford F250 gasser to the '17 Ram diesel) I get as good of mileage with this set up as I got with my 460 powered Ford empty.
Also: I love Fords, my brother happily took on my '93. I just got a great deal on the manual Ram. It only had 8050 miles on it. The guy that bought new it couldn't handle a stick anymore. lol.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
The biggest thing I can tell you about RV's, is first, read your owners manual, every page. Then make sure you do your regular maintenance yearly. I have seen so many units that lack of regular maintenance has lead to very expensive repairs. Do not park the rv in the same position every time you store it. The sun will take it's toll and you will have one sides tires with sun damage and fading on your paint on that side. It's noticeable after a while. Unless you really know what your doing do not do your own winterization, blown water pipes and flooding is not fun. FYI, if an RV is unattended for 2 weeks or more then rodent damage is not covered by your insurance. Inspect your roof seals yearly, water damage caused by a failed roof seal is also not covered by your insurance. From the Dark side.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
We enjoyed ours for work and long trips for years. The issues are they get old fast, things start breaking down and one that large is pretty much limited to pull through RV parks. Most State and National Parks sites are to small.. 8O

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Nice! I had several of them & if you follow interstates & highways traveled by 18 wheelers you will have no issues.

It is when you venture off to small rural 2 lanes in certain areas & come across 11ft clearance bridges you might pucker up.

I think Rand McNally makes a truckers road atlas. They are great. Still use their regular atlas on road trips in suv regularly.

Happy Camping!

You meet the nicest people in RV sites. From Class A's to TT's... they all have a common purpose.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Awesome set up! I have never had a RV but that looks like comfort.

I like the Ram as well. I have a 99 F250 superduty with the 7.3 diesel that thing is a beast.

Enjoy!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Late to this post!............ Man what a rig!.......... Someday, I see one of these in my future!........... Enjoy that Brother!............. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.