Anyone Recently Discover a New Blend That They Absolutely Love?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Recently I've discovered two new to me blends that I will be ordering more of for sure. I don't often try a new blend and find I like it so much after smoking it for a couple of weeks or so. I may come back to a new blend from time to time, but these two I can't help smoking one or the other every day. I'm sure the desire will wear off after a while, but I feel I'll always find these in my current rotation.
First I tried Peterson's Hyde Park, which is a broken flake, and I know is a love or hate blend for many. My surprise from the description was that I really didn't taste the maple or even much rum said to be in the topping. Whatever topping is there is quite tastey, but the noticeable Lakeland essence was the real surprise! Certainly not as strong as most Lakeland essences, but the mix of the tobaccos and other flavors keep drawing me back in, but then again I like Lakeland flavors.
The other one I found I'm drawn to is Rattray's Exotic Orange. This is another tobacco I tried thanks to Duane the Master of the Black Frigate. One of the most interesting aromatic tobaccos that I've come across. One thing I noticed though, is that when I draw through the pipe prior to lighting to test the draw, it tastes just like what I remember so many tobacco shops smelled like in the 80s and 90s. I have not noticed that as much with any other blend. Smoking it doesn't relate to that memory, but it has the best flavor of real tobaccos with a bit of orange and vanilla. This is just a really nice relaxing smoke for me.
I'm sure that if I continue to smoke these blends out of the same pipe all the time they would ghost them, so I usually smoke the Hyde Park in pipes I would normally use for Lakeland blends, and the Exotic Orange in the pipes usually reserved for aros.

Have any of you found a new blend that you are particularly enamored with?

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Peretti's Cuban and Tashkent.

Made my wonder if all those tins I try are a waste of money.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member gave me a big tin of Frog Morton Cellar about two years ago, along with an amazing estate pipe. For which thank you again! I recently opened the FM Cellar and was tentative about it until I packed it in a really large bowl, and that brought it to life. It's in the rotation now, and is good every time.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I have, indeed.

But, for the first time ever I'm awash in stinginess and don't want to share it or the retailer because I want it all for myself.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've not had much luck recently, but haven't tried too much new stuff either. The last one that stuck with me was War Horse Bar Red. The stuff is awesome in my opinion and always hits the spot right after a big meal. I tried Dobie's Four Square Cut Plug thinking it was a straight cut plug, but it had coconut oil lathered all over it like it was made to be smoked while sunbathing; man was it bad. I haven't made a go of anything new since. The one thing about that Cut Plug is that it was no weakling, which I thought was the best thing about it.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I just discovered Vapers. I've always been turned off by the "peppery" adjective used in so many reviews and I've not been tempted to try them. Peppery just seemed rather incongruous to savory pipe tobacco as I saw it. Recently, I discovered a tin of Escudo that I bought years ago and hidden away, forgotten. I thought what the hell, I'll give it a go. Man, what a revelation! Now I'm on a Perique tear sampling all I can get my hands on. Interestingly, I haven't found Vapers peppery, but fruity and sweet. Eight years into my pipe smoking and such a discovery......!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nothing recent! But as to VaPers, I so wish I could really like them. So far, ok but I always fall back to my English blends.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
jpmcwjr

When VaPers were too spicy for me, I tried Marquee Viprati and Virginia spice, they did good for me.

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
I finally tried Lane 1-Q, realized it's the aro I've been looking for. Been smoking alot of Frog Morton, saving my 965.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Rattrays Red Rapparee, Black Mallory and SToP Warhorse Bar.

I had to put the Warhorse Bar down at the 1/2 way point and go walk around for a bit.

It was still very tasty and I'm still a fan, but WOW!

That being said, I will still continue to smoke the Warhorse Bar, but probably in a smaller pipe.

The 2 Rattray blends are definitely part of my rotation for now, tasty stuff!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
First I tried Peterson's Hyde Park...but the noticeable Lakeland essence was the real surprise! Certainly not as strong as most Lakeland essences
Hyde Park is the only Lakeland I've ever smoked (or will ever). It surprised me too, as it was billed as an English. I got the tin as a freebie with a Peterson pipe (a system, equally as gross as the tobacco). On the first puff I nearly gagged, and was sure there was some heinous mistake, like maybe the janitor at Peterson had spilled toilet disinfectant into it. And if it's not as strong in essence as other Lakelands, I shudder to even contemplate the velocity of projectile vomit those would induce.
As for the question about discovering a new blend to love, tbh I'm reluctant to even try any new ones lest they become unobtainium in the near future. I'm still steaming over the impending demise of Dunhill blends, as I recently rediscovered Aperitif, and my alltime favorite VAPer is DNR.

owen

May 28, 2014
Rattray Reserve 7 and Presbyterian. Both so very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.