PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I decided to mod one of my beloved Missouri Meerschaum Mark Twains to be a better "hanging pipe" for reading and smoking. I used a "Christmas tree" shaped wood carving bit to elongate the hole the shank goes into to make the shank enter at 45 degrees. Since the wooden plug was relieved to accommodate the previous shallow stem angle, I used a Hi-Lok collar cutter (basically a 4-flute end mill with a hole in the center) through the shank hole to relieve the plug's floor at 45 degrees. Tapped the stem back in wetted with a little Elmer's, did a hot-water bend on the stem, and voila, a corncob Hungarian.
Has anyone else tried this particular experiment, and if so, how did it turn out?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Pics? From a guy who hasn't even bothered to figure out how to load an avatar? :rofl:
Seriously though, Ash, it isn't a radical enough change to even justify pics. Just imagine a Mark Twain with the shank at 45 degrees instead of 90-ish.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It sounds like a lot of work. A labor of love, as they say. Now all that work, and no pictures? Tease....

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
You know, it wasn't actually a lot of work. The hardest part was heating the shank to pull it out without roaching the stem or bowl! The whole process didn't even take an hour, not including dry time for the glue. I've seen vintage cobs on Fleabay that have a serious angle to the shank, so I figured someone else must have done this before. There's probably an even easier method than mine, and that was pretty damned easy.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I tried to modify the shank on one of my cobs once and all I did was turn the thing black. Didn't even get the shank out...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Aldy-
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
John-
I appreciate the instructions for uploading photos, but the truth is this: I've never had difficulty uploading pics, I've simply never tried. For that, I would need either a digital camera or a smartphone. I own neither. I do have a Samsung flip-phone I've been using since 2009, but I don't think that would help in this case. It does take pictures, I just wouldn't have anywhere to send them. (One doesn't earn a reputation as a stubborn curmudgeon by embracing change.)
At any rate, my mother-in-law is coming down to visit today, and she has a smartphone. I know she's always gabbling away via text message and sending people pictures of what she's eating for brunch. Maybe she has an account with a photo-hosting site and we can work something out. I'm really kind of amazed anyone wants to see pictures of my pipe, though!

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I have seen pics of many Cob Oom Paul's. Mainly on a group for Corn cob pipes. Your sound quite interesting.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I figured there were more out there. Do you happen to remember what forum that was? I'd like to check some out.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Heck, I'd love to see your Hungarian cob. I've been thinking about ordering some chamber-drilled 5th Ave. Diplomat bowls, some shanks, and some MM Freehand vulcanite stems from Missouri Meerschaum and doing something similar for a few "mostly-full" bents for long road trips (I've got a bit of a spontaneous airbag deployment phobia).

Jan 8, 2013
It does take pictures, I just wouldn't have anywhere to send them.
aldecaker, use your phone like you're going to send a photo in a text message. Instead of entering a phone number, type in your email address. It will send your photos to your email, where you can right click and save them to your computer. Then you can put your photos on a photo hosting site such as Photobucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.