PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Nope, sorry. Had to listen to a lot of Wills and a few similar bands on loop for 2 summers in a row at work. Listen to any song/group on loop for 84 work days in a row and you'll tire of it quickly.
EDIT: I should include that I do respect his, and his band's influence on music.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I love Western Swing and was always a fan of the Playboys. (However, Leon McAuliffe was the man with his steel guitar.)
Foggy, if you're not familiar with them I'd suggest taking a run at the group Asleep at the Wheel. They did a cover of "Corine, Corina" with Brooks and Dunn doing vocals that's a real kick.
Fnord

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not only Bob Wills, but also the Lee O'Daniel and the Hillybilly Boys. Here's a link to some of their old shows, which are free to download and are in the public domain.
http://archive.org/details/OTRR_The_Hillbilly_Boys_Singles

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We're fans of Bob Wills and Asleep at the Wheel. Ray Benson, who started Asleep at the Wheel is from a tiny little town in West Virginia called "Paw-Paw". My wife's family is from Paw-Paw. They have an annual Memorial Day parade and party. We've seen Asleep perform there several times, its like a little back-yard barbeque!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffshJF_uGD4

Aug 14, 2012
Oh, so that explains why a friend from West Virginia's nephew called his grandfather Pawpaw. I like the instrumentalists from Asleep, but the lead sounds, to my northern ears, more like Burl Ives than Bob Wills.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The fiddle and it's music are alive and well in the Texas hill country . Not only in dance halls but old time fiddlin contests at the county fairs .They do not make that kind of music anymore . Can you imagine touring Texas and Oklahoma in a 1930s era car . They would drive to radio stations and play on air to promote album sales .

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Al: That is awesome! You can't beat a small town and the folks who still respect where they came from. Thank you for sharing that.
Foggy: I'll respectfully disagree with you on the qualities of AATW's vocals. I like Ray Benson's voice and, more importantly, I like Burl Ives just as well. Most of us, in our 50's, grew up with that man and his music plus narrations of Christmas shows. They resonate just as deeply with me as Vince Guaraldi's wonderful jazz on all of those swell Charlie Brown specials.
Brother, when my folks let me watch "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof" for the first time I was shocked with Ives' performance as Big Daddy: sweating, whiskey soaked and twisted into next week by his own sins, perversions and societal restrictions. To me, he was astonishing and he also proved his amazing chops as an actor.
For what it's worth, I'm pretty active in Boy Scouting as was Burl Ives while I was growing up - ditto Bob Hope and Jimmy Stewart - so I'm prejudiced as hell, Foggy. I love the guy.
Cheers,
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Paw-Paw has a population of 500 per Wiki. 30 years ago, they had no paved streets, just gravel. My wife's uncle owned the local roadhouse, a pretty wild place. I remember on one trip, following a school bus into town on a Friday afternoon. A group of kids gets off, and one heads down into the ditch on the should. He comes up holding a dead possum by the tail. My wife had her camera and we have a shot somewhere of this kid walking behind the school bus carrying the dead possum. You don't see that everywhere....

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
This post reminds me of my Father in Law. We argued about Bob Wills off and on for years. He always said Bob was a blowhard and all he did was stand around talking and yelling AH HA while the other guys played the show :D He was a Ernest Tubbs and Hank Snow fan and saw all the old country guys play at The Longhorn and Sportatorium in Dallas, from Bob Wills to Hank Williams and Elvis too.

Status
Not open for further replies.