May 25, 2012
Bottom reads The Tinder Box and Hand Made in Itally
s-l1600-8-447x600.jpg

s-l1600-6-447x600.jpg

s-l1600-7-447x600.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They market them to color a meer with so as to not burn a meer's rim. Stick it in the pipe and smoke tobacco in it. They have several of these on eBay.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Its interesting but I don't really see the point either.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Man, those things are pricey! I didn't pay much more for my meer pipes! 8O
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=meerschaum+coloring+bowl&isNewKw=1&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&_trksid=p2053742.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xmeerschaum+coloring+bowl&sqp=meerschaum+coloring+bowl

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Supposedly a coloring bowl is use so that the pipe takes color faster due to the fact that it will build no cake in the pipe itself. The more cake you have built up in your meer the slower the "juices" will permeate the bowl material so by using the coloring bowl you will color faster...... at least that's the theory. Personally I envision the smoker using one of these would also being the guy that smokes wearing the white cotton gloves and being completely OCD on handling the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I were a Meer smoker, I'd much rather have poor color on my pipe or a charred rim than use this gadget. Some get bewitched by the accessories and lose sight of the enjoyment. However, I guess these keep money circulating. I hope the purchasers are very happy with their gizmos. Snort.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I'm confused...what's the bowl for, a hookah? I mean, I can't see how the little blue ceramic whatsis could be used to color a normal meer pipe.
And I've got a 75 y.o. meer that was my dad's and I've been smoking it 40 some years and it still has barely changed to off-white. I seem to remember reading years ago they dipped them in boiling beeswax after carving, and that's what aided in the coloring. You were warned not to touch the bowl while it was warm.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I have used coloring bowls in the past and they did aid in coloring the bowl and kept the bowl cake free. It was a fun experiment and it worked well, but I sold all my coloring bowls many years ago and have not smoked a meer for many a year.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
It is not only for cake prevention but also for keeping meer cold which would result in even coloration. I have never used one, I love meers with beautiful patina but would find it ridiculous to smoke it like that. Besides meer coloring is impossible to predict, I have one that after half a yeara looks dark as vintage meers and some that don't color a all.

Status
Not open for further replies.