PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have a tin of peterson's sherlock holmes and it just won't stay lit and is a little to damp. I live in a humid area and just sitting it out isn't helping. Any ideas?

Jul 15, 2011
This is the setup I have. Grab a big book, like I have here, or something that will elevate your tobacco close to the lamp bulb. Use a regular old lamp bulb, not one of those high efficiency bulbs because the high efficiency bulbs don't generate any heat. Bake your tobacco under the heat of the bulb for 15-30 minutes depending on how moist your blend is and how dry you want it. This is the only way I can get my tobacco where I like it in the summer months.
DSCN0955.jpg

Jul 15, 2011
Cortez has also talked about some kind of craft type heat gun/blowdryer that he uses that he just holds over his tobacco and he says it gets it bone dry in minutes. I cant remember which thread he posted that on or where he found it. I tried to find something like it locally and couldn't find one anywhere. If you have a regular old desk lamp, it is a good way to go, it just takes a bit of time. Then again, pipe smokers are patient people, right? :wink:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I used the microwave with the tobacco on a paper plate, counted to 10 and turned it off, if you have a powerful microwave do it for 5 sec intervals, first one I did I toasted some golden damask, went to the wine cooler, got a Pinot noir out, wet a paper towel wrung it out threw the tobacco and towel in a mason jar, turning it every once in a while , did that for 2 days and now it's better than the regular damask Tbradsim the old cajun

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I place it next to the air vent of my laptop. Mine vents to the sides.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Heat your oven to as low as you can heat it. turn it off, wait 10 - 15 min and then put your tobacco in it on a cookie sheet. Check it in a min and then put back in for as long as necessary. dont let it stay in for more than a min at a time though. It can dry out rather fast. I like the light bulb heat idea better to tell you the truth and it does fall under the D'oh!(slap head with palm of hand) why didn't I think of that? category.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks guys I appreciate all the info. I was worried I would do something too drastic and end up ruining my tobacco.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Just try all the methods with small samples and see what works for you. Living in the Canadian maritimes, I totally understand it being too humid for air drying.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have just set mine out for a few days and I'll check it periodically until I feel that it is where I want it.

+1 to the lamp idea. I have one on the stand where my pipes are kept and it does help.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I had this happen by accident last summer and it turned out good. I was lucky maybe.
I had a new pouch of Wild Cherry aro that was to wet and hard to keep lit and I left my pipe, tobacco, tamper, and lighter on front seat of the car because I was just going in the house to check he mail then going back out to run some errands.
Well I got distracted and didn't get back to the car for a couple hours. When I picked up the pouch it was warmer then warm, almost hot and I thought oh no that's a goner. Fact is it lit and burned excellent from then till it was all gone.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think this is the greatest thing since aluminum pipe nails.

lgpics_heatit.jpg

I rarely plan in advance what blend I'll be smoking, so I have this

craft heat blower on hand. It produces very good heat, and it has a low

velocity air stream, so tobacco doesn't go flying all over the place.

You can Google Heat It Craft Tool and find a number of e-tail sources for it.

I also use it to warm a pipe before I apply carnauba wax.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
+1 @barkar! Just leave it on the dash for a couple hours. Nice
-Jim

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Scoff if you'd like, but I've found that the best way to do this (rather than dry out a whole tin) is to microwave a bowl's worth for 7-15 seconds (depending on cut and moisture). It's easy, fast, works like a charm, and microwaves are endlessly convenient to locate (hotel rooms, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.