PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2018
Hello all I am a new member to this fine forum but am also a long term viewer of it as you have some of the best and honest pipe and tobacco reviews.

Anywho to cut a long story short I am a Brit or ex Brit who threw off the chains of tyranny and came to the land of the free. Which brings me finally the the point of this ambling post I was a long time pipe smoker of a British brand called Clan and wondered if anyone here had smoked it, Knew of anywhere this side of the water that sells it or has a good idea of a similar tobacco or clone under a different name?
Forward thanks to anyone that can help out and please dont take offence if it takes me a while to respond as I tend to work odd and long hours but rest assured eventually I will get back to you.....eventually !

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Unfortunately the last place I managed to obtain it was from Germany when a friend was traveling. I have a friend in Japan who says it is readily available there as well. While it is a bit different, give War Horse Bar a try. It's from a similar vein of style and readily available here.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I smoked it back in the seventies when it was available in the US. I figured that today's version must be different than what I smoked back then, because it's now made by a different company. Then I read the reviews for the modern version and now I think it hasn't changed very much, because Clan tore up my mouth, and my tongue is made of asbestos.
Russ

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Just about any pipe smoker in the UK will be familiar with Clan. It is quite unique and I am not sure there is anything really like it. It does smell very nice, both out of the pouch and out of the pipe.
However, it is just about the hottest smoke known to man! It is cut in quite a thin shag and burns like napalm. I really and truly think Clan is responsible for more beginners giving up the pipe than just about any other factor.
But, if you do like it then I suggest you experiment with various aromatics - the US has lots of them. Maybe you will find something that suits you.
Mike

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I smoked it one time only when someone offered me some from their pouch. Smells lovely, the room note is delightful, tastes like you have set fire to a bunch of old leaf found on the lawn. Prolonged consumption of this stuff probably leads to BBQ tongue!

Reactions: The Clay King

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A pouch aromatic widely available in the U.S., that I like, is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which is probably much less harsh than Clan, but is a good combination of burley base, condimental Virginia, and three liqueur flavorings. You can buy it in a pouch, so sample it and see. It may be way too mild, but it seems tobacco forward (to me) anyway.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I do not remember the taste but in France the Clan is considered the same type of beginner's tobacco that smells good but is infected with smoking and quickly abandoned ... :oops:

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Not identical but if you can find the Sail tobaccos over here, they share some of the same tendencies. Like Blendtobac, I found Clan totally unsmokeable when I had it 20 years ago, I liken it to smoking fibreglass insulation. Truly though, any lighter virginia base blend with a bit of topping should get you in the ballpark - St Bruno, Capstan etc.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
IT can be found around here. Some old timers keep singing its praise, but I never had the curiosity of smoking it as I heard it can burn really hot. Without even trying it I put a label on it, setting it in the same category as Captain Black. I may give it a try now that I have read the above...

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
This is still quite a popular blend up here in north,especially among 'ole condgers'its a typcal Old School Holland style fast burning ribbon cut blend.The past summer when I had a pouch of it I was quite surprised by the quality, somehow it seemed to me that the overall quality has improved quite remarkably,but agreed,fast burning stuff,comes always on the dryer side,I think this is how it should be,and if we compare Clan Aromatic to Sail Yellow Tobacco,I'd say,Sail is more coarse cut yet lighter both in taste and nicotine.If my memory serves me right,There is another Clan variation available on the Eu market,Clan Malt Wiskey which is a bit lighter and has coarser cut.

Nov 10, 2018
Thanks all for the sage advice I will try Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and Sail as well especially at their price point.
As for burning hot oh yeah, and then some My Uncle was a big smoker with it and lived by one pipe alone. Every five or so years he got himself a new pipe as the old one ended up burnt out.
As for Clan malt whiskey I have not seen or tasted but now I am curious!
Tried Irish Dew.....close but not too. Irish Dew is a recent acquisition of mine and not sure if I really like it yet, for me I think I prefer Petersons Atlantic. Will also be trying War horse bar. As for Capt Black.......its one of my secret pleasures (I know it is OTC with cheap leaf and floor sweepings(some of the chunks I fish out of a pouch now and then look like tree bark! But every now and then I get a hankering for the Captain!)

Status
Not open for further replies.