Anyone Know Anything About Don Carlos Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
On my way home from my trip I stopped at an antique store in Columbia, SC. It was an awesome shop crammed full of stuff, and right up at the front I found a tray full of pipes. I ended up with a Peterson Killarney, 2 Savinellis, an Irish Second, and the jewel of the lot a Don Carlos Canadian. It is 10 inches long, the briar section just a little over 8 inches, yes that is right, this thing is huge. I did a little research on pipepedia, but I'm trying to figure out how much this thing might be worth. It needs restored of course, and I will post pics soon, still trying to sort out my photobucket woes.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
For additional information go to
www.smokershaven.com
Click on new pipes link then Don Carlos link for additional information.
I know he also took time away from making pipes due to a bad motorcycle accident.
I hope this might help you.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Double post of sorts, I posted a link on the other one with a pic, thanks for the smokershaven link that was helpful. I was wondering about the musical connection.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
The notes are his way of grading a pipe. No notes up to 3 notes. 3 Notes are best. Also, he does this range for each type of pipe he has. I think the types are: full rustictated, partially rusticated, smooth, really smooth, super smooth. I obviously don't remember his names for the levels of smooth. lolz

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Thanks Peck, very helpful. This pipe however has no notes, no class name, only the handmade in Italy, Don Carlos on one side and cm 20.7 on the other. Gonna have to do some more digging.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have a two note rusticated tankard shaped pipe that is one of my lightest and easiest smoking pipes. It smokes anything I put in it with equal aplomb. I highly recommend them to anyone!

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Also, there are two different maker's marks that he's used. Initially, he had a solid white bar and then he switched to a musical cleft note. I'm not sure when the change was but my pipe is a cleft note and I've had it since 2003 so it's before that obviously.
As far as value, it's tricky, you'll need to research obviously but he's not particularly prolific so there won't be a ton of exactly comparable pipes. I've seen a fair number of Rusticated One or Two Notes going around the $50 mark on the 'bay recently. The more exotic shapes seem to fetch a higher price than the classic English shapes.
In terms of quality, I only have one but it's probably the nicest pipe I own. It's a Smooth 3 Note Bent Dublin and it looks like a high-end artisan pipe and smokes even better. Based on it alone, I'd recommend his pipes in a second to anyone.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I looked at your picture of the Canadian in another post..... and yep, that's pretty unusual in terms of size.

Status
Not open for further replies.