PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Are there any good pipe shops, clubs, tobacco manufacturers, etc out here. I am smack dab in between Chattanooga and Knoxville. The only stores, I am aware of, that are half way decent are Leaf and Ale in Knoxville and a shop in Gatlinburg called The Gatlinburlier.

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
The Gatlin burlier is nice. In Chattanooga the only pipe shop i know of is Burns Tobacconist but they mainly specialize in cigars. But of late they have been expanding their pipe and tobacco line.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I'm a lifelong Knoxvillian. You should try Smoky's off Kingston Pike (across from West Town Mall). It's got a very decent selection of tinned blends, plus a lot of bulks. It's a good little shop.

Knoxville used to have a half-dozen good B&Ms, including Knox Cigar (which was the equal of any of the largest e-tailers). Knox Cigar closed about 4 years ago, though.

I love the Gatlin-Burlier's house pipes and a couple of their house blends, but most of their tinned stuff is way overpriced. They've got some beautiful high-end collectible pipes, too, including some gorgeous Dunhills.

volsmcfalls

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
Knoxvillian here as well, but I grew up in Sevierville.
I can echo the good doctor's recommendations. Smoky's is a good place. They have a lot of bulk blends that are pretty good. They have a pretty good collection of house pipes as well (but fewer since they moved locations).
And the Gatlin-Burlier is a nice place too. Keep in mind it's in the middle of tourist-town USA, so expect some higher prices. But their house blends are pretty good. I really enjoy Cades Cove Cavendish and their yearly Santa Puffer blend which changes each year.
You mentioned Leaf & Ale, but I went by there the other day and they are either in the middle of a remodel or are closing shop. Either way, I never cared for their selection (of pipes or tobacco). But it's a good place to hang out and smoke (I always buy something when I do this).
I wish Knox Cigar hadn't shut down. It was in the Old City and was the perfect "old school" tobacco shop. Reminded me of a couple of shops I visited in Charleston.
And, if by chance you end up in tiny Dandridge, there's the Thomas Tavern Gifts & Smoke Shop. It's a neat little shop with several house blends and friendly folks.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Wow thanks for for the info. I don't think I have ever seen the one across from the mall and will have to look for it. I have never purchased pipe tobacco or a pipe at Leaf and Ale. I am a cigar fan as well and just noticed they had them when I was last there.

volsmcfalls

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
Smoky's is sort of hidden from view unless you know where to look. It is literally right next door to the Starbucks in Montview Center.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
There was a small pipe and cigar store in Cleveland Tn,but its been awhile since I was on that end of the state.
Tom

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I hadn't thought of checking out Cleveland. That is about the same distance as Chattanooga and Knoxville though.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I've never been to the B&M in Knoxville, but I do like Gatlinburlier. The only down side is they are a little pricey on some of their stuff, but that comes from them being in a tourist trap town.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I stopped into Smoky's while I was up in Knoxville busy doing another hobby. It was nice enough but the staff seemed to know nothing about pipe smoking. The guy there couldn't recommend anything. I picked up two tins at random. The ones I got are Peterson's Sherlock Holmes because Peterson Pipes are known to be good and Moontrance by CAO because their cigars are among my favorites. If anyone has any recommendations please feel free to chime in. It would really be cool to try a local tobacco.
That is, if there is anything.

volsmcfalls

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
Yeah, the guys at Smoky's are hit and miss. One of the gentlemen (the owner I believe) is a really helpful man. He's the one who answered all my questions when I bought my first pipe. And they should have some house blends there that are pretty good (or at least they did last time I was in there).

bakerbrett741

Lurker
Apr 15, 2012
I live in Evensville, Tn. The tobacco stores in Dayton don't carry flake. id like to try some, but they dont carry it

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I agree with the assessment of Smoky's - aside from the owner, they seem to be blase about pipe tobaccos. Sad, considering that they have, by default, the largest selection in the City. I keep meaning to spend a day there and strike up conversations with some of the diehard Brothers I see.
I enjoy the Smoky's house blend, as well as their Smoky Mountain blend and Wife's Blend. And I can tell you that the remnants of all three, when mixed, make a darned tasty smoke!
All us Volunteers need to get together for coffee and plot the revolution.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I will have to try their house blends next time. I actually might be moving to knoxville soon so I may be able to go to Smokey's more often. I do have to say though that I don't really care for indoor smoking and when I was there a bunch of people were blazing up. I guess it is just a weird personal preference.

volsmcfalls

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
My brother in law and I have commented in passing that we should open a tobacco shop in Knoxville. There just doesn't seem to be any market for it here.
Would LOVE to open a nice B&M for my fellow smokers to enjoy!

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
You could say that for the whole state of Tn., B&M's are a hard sell here for some reason.
I know of 3 in Memphis, 1 in Jackson, 2 Nashville, 2 in Murfreesboro , not saying thats all, just the bigger ones.
Tom

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
You should open it and also take advantage of the online market. There is a lot of profit there. One thing I would do is do cigars and pipe tobacco. When people come in to the store maybe offer a free sample of pipe tobacco and a cheap corn cob pipe. Open it up by UTK. I guarantee that it would be successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.