PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I might be moving to the Harrisburg area in the very near future, and am wondering which areas or nearby towns are the upper end places to live. I'm looking everywhere from 10 miles west of Harrisburg to 10 miles East of Hershey. As far south as Lancaster, and I guess mountains get in the way of going too far north.
Thanks in advice to anyone who can help me narrow my search.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo jma
You are moving to near the Center of the Pipe Tobacco Universe. Very near Hershey is Wingenroth's, downtown Lebanon. And you are not far from Boswell's,in Chambersburg. The CI Pipe Guild in Hamburg (next door to the mega Cabela's) and the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club are both within striking distance. Philly's Christopher Morley's PC isn't out of the question, neither.
hp

les

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Haha near Harrisburg yep your near some good pipe smokers there. Not far from the LVPC which I do intend to visit sometime a lot

Of good folks there, most I met through here.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some of us are meeting at Boswells in Chambersburg, Saturday morning. Drop by if you are in the area, you'll get lots of PA advice (and from me: Stay out of Maryland!)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
jmatt, the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club meets on the 4th Monday of every month at The Wooden Match in Bethlehem. Drop by and meet some great people. You won't be disappointed.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Greetings, jmatt! If by "upper end places" you mean the upper end of crime statistics, then you'll love Harrisburg. It's also the upper end for taxes and police-per-capita. Unfortunately, Harrisburg is on the low end of most everything else, like standardized test scores in the schools and property values. Nice place to visit, though, if you stay within a few blocks of the State House and park in a secure garage.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Haha Dan ain't that the truth. You would be better going to Hershey or really metro areas when it comes to Harrisburg and Philly really.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
OK - I'll try asking this again: Where is the best place to buy a house and live? Let's say within 30 minutes of Hershey. And let's use a house budget of $600,000 to $1 million.
Thanks for any suggestions.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
What kind of setting are you looking for? Is the school district an issue?
Subdivision with bigger lots. 1/2 acre to 1 acre is fine. Just not interested in 1/10th acre lots. No kids still in school, but like good school systems for resale value of course. I'd live on 5 acres on a country road, but my wife won't know a soul and it's hard to meet a lot of people in a new area that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.