PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I find as I get further and further down the pipe path of life that I like just two blends almost exclusively.

I know its said that variety is the spice of life, but I think I've tried a great many spices and I just happen to like a select couple.
Are you a one or two trick pony too? If so What do you smoke almost all of the time?
In case you're wondering, I'm a Marlin Flake and Private Stock guy.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/958/rattray-marlin-flake

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/577/hermit-captain-earles-private-stock
Ooops, I forgot where I was...Moderator please move this post to appropriate forum. My apologies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I tend to keep picking Old Dark Fired or Black Frigate. Frequent hand slapping to stay out of the Balkan Sobranie except for special ocassions.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Sorry, I'm more of a 40 trick pony at this point. I've been smoking pipes and cigars on and off for over 30 years, and I still like the experience of trying new tobaccos. It's not like I have to try every tobacco I read a review on, but there are some that just appeal to me. I do have some I've tried and have not been thrilled with, so they got jarred up and I'll try them at a later date to see what I think. Others, I visit on a regular basis, some a little less.
chasingembers: Right now, I think I need to try Black Frigate, as you've mentioned it a couple of times in your posts, and it sounds good to me. Looks like I'm about to be a 41 trick pony.... :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The old time pipe smokers were big on brand loyalty and would smoke their favorite codger blend for a lifetime, or if they changed brands, it was a life changing act. I tend to be a variety freak, but I can see settling in with a few blends and/or single leaf tobaccos, if I were pressed for time and wanted a dependable smoke each time. When you try around a lot, some of the smokes some of the time won't be satisfying. I could coast for quite a while with three or four favorites.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have my staples, 1Q for about two years and Luxury Bullseye Flake just recently, but I do enjoy a variety of blends. At least three or four times a year I'll order up a tin of something I've enjoyed in the past or a new blend I'm interested in trying. I'll typically open a new tin or work my way through a two ounce sample for a week and the next week I'll go back to my 1Q or Luxury Bullseye Flake or a combo of the two for a week or two before getting into the next blend.
Don't think you're all alone though. There are many, radio host Brian Levine included, who have their one two or three favorite blends and that's pretty much all they smoke.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I think I need to keep trying before I find my "go to's". I'm looking forward to the journey though:) I'm sure I'll be there eventually though.

Reactions: SaxonX

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
My codger blend is Dunhill EMP. I smoke a myriad of lat blends, Virginias, VaPer's and so on and the only exclusion for the time being is aromatics. If I only get to smoke one bowl a day, it'll always be EMP, it's like comfort food. I also have just a few pipes that really make that blend sing and although I do smoke other blends in them, I keep the rotation set up so as to always have one of them available for my first smoke of the day with coffee. EMP is one tobacco I plan on never running out of.

Reactions: SaxonX

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have 3 that I always have but I try to get at least 1 tin of something I have not tried when I place an order.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I have a staple blend that I smoke when I first get up in the morning and then will smoke again after lunch. I try a new blend almost every afternoon and evening if I have some new tins or pouches on hand. So, I do try new blends almost every day. Many I will like so much that I'll smoke them again the next day and others become staples for future enjoyment. Many though, will simply be added to my local pipe club's tobacco bar. I have a credenza where I keep about 25 or more opened tins and another dozen or so Mason Jars filled with leaf that I enjoy. My wife thinks I'm nuts (which, of course, I am).

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I like the variety and have a few staples in each style. I'm working on keeping open tins to a minimum but representative of the various styles.
I'm not a home but off the top of my head, I currently have open tins or jars of :
VaPers- PS LNF,

Virginians -Orlik Golden Sliced; black and brown rope

VaBur & BurVa - Old Dark Fired; Stonehaven

Burley Forward - Classic Burley Kake, PA

English - VaLatsTurks - Quiet Night; SG Navy Flake; Pembroke; Squadron Leader

Balkans - Balkan Sobranie

Aro - Lane IQ

Cigar Leaf - Stogie (need to reorder)
There are many other regulars in my rotation that aren't open or I don't have in stock and there are few dozen tins waiting to be sampled.
My bulk purchases or half pound or better stocks are Quiet Nights; Margate; Pembroke; Stonehaven; SG LNFand now Classic Burley Kake. Since I buy these in quantity and smoke them rather than cellar the, I guess you could say these are my go to brands.
Pax

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
My goto is McClelland No. 2015 Virginia Perique Flake. I'll have 2 or 3 bowls of the stuff everyday. It just does it for me. Right now I have 105+ blends in my cellar that needs to get smoked. Whenever I see a blend that looks interesting I'll order 2 or 3 tins but once they arrive I just go back to 2015.
I've got a two fold problem. I like my 2015 but I want to try new things but don't.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
My "go to" blends are SPC Plum Pudding and C&D Bryzantium; however I have many other blends that I smoke daily as well.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
There are so many great blends out there right now I feel it is my duty to try them all. Might take a while so I won't be a one or two trick pony any time soon.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Pipestud, your in a perfect place, and the wife knows, so no worries!
I pretty much smoke ANYTHING that Greg Pease has blended that I have available. I start the day, every day, with Chelsea Morning.. to me it is the perfect morning coffee tobacco blend. Then I move on to Va/Pr during the day.. some Six Pense, or Montgomery, and in the evenings and at night I hit the Latakia, Ciaro, and most importantly the one, the only... Gas Light!
But that's just me. If there is anything I have learned in all this, is that every pipe smoker has their favorites and types of blends ect.. we are not all built the same with respect to our pipe tobacco tastes... and that is a GREAT thing.. because it forces the great tobacconists to press ahead and try and make "that" blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.