PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I've had a few bowls now and I don't yet know what to make of this blend. Is it English? Is it Aromatic? Is it good? So far, it's the most unusual blend I've had. What do you think of it?

May 31, 2012
I've never tried it.
The name has always reminded me of Soylent Green!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green
:eek:
dp5iKMj.gif

zanthipal

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Solent is in my top 5 blends. It is certainly an English blend. I would describe it as a mix of a mild English blend with some Navy flake, it has this nice rum or honey sweet note in the background.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A certain actor I like was in that movie, though I can't just quite recall his name. :crazy: :D I like the blend. Here's my review of it.
A well blended aromatic/English blend that burns well, cool, and even. There's a taste of rum, and a cocoa note or two from the burley. Overall, the Virginias are earthy and modestly sweet. The black cavendish adds enough of a vanilla hit that well enjoins the other sweet flavors without controlling them. The mild addition of Syrian latakia pushes a smokey and slightly woodsy flavor, adding complimentary strength to the other ingredients. The multiplicity of flavors are lightly amplified by a mild spice that I've tasted in other MacBaren blends. Best smoked in a wide bowl for full effect, and while it may not be an all day smoke for some, it's certainly a mixture you can reach for more than once a day. One of the better crossover blends on the market with enough strength to satisfy non-lat bomb aficionados without disappointing those who crave a stronger latakia presence.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks guys!
Yup, it's a terrible, TERRIBLE name. What the heck is a solent anyway? And it certainly doesn't flow off the tongue...if I'm even pronouncing it right. But, despite it's terrible name, you guys should try it. It's got some Syrian in it so it won't be around for too much longer. I think I'll need a few more bowls to get my head around this one.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Jim, I'm quite familiar with your review. It was the main reason I bought the tin to try. I am slowly, but surely, working my way through all your 4-star recommendations.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
A certain actor I like was in that movie
It was his last movie, in which his character dies in the end in order to reveal the shocking truth. In fact in a bitterly ironic case of art-imitating-life, he knew he was dying during the filming and passed about a week after the movie wrapped, of bladder cancer...which is strongly linked to heavy smoking.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
From Dictionary.com.
"The Solent. A channel between the Isle of Wight and the mainland of S England. 2–5 miles (3.2–8 km) wide."
My own comment. The great seafaring center of Portsmouth is near the Solent channel.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Interesting you would categorize it that way. It's officially an English, but I thought the same thing. I liked it from the first bowl. It can bite you if you're not careful.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Ahhh. The name makes some sense now. Thank you Darwin! Webster's had nuttin' when I looked it up.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I smoked a fair amount of this, using it as a first pipe of the day, until I discovered HH VS. It's what is sometimes referred to as a "crossover English" - a lat blend with a topping. :puffy:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It's a weird weird blend but it's appropriately named for the place that separates stodgy olde England from a tiny little island where residents ride around on hovercrafts, build rockets, dig up dino's and have the largest rock concerts in (old) history...it's also first place in the world to get a darn radio...oh, what better place for the writing of David Copperfield? It's entirely possible that Solent mixture is flavored with all that wavy gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.