Anyone have one of Walt's Cardinal House pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
No one likes to admit it but, well, I've had a string of bad luck with my last three artisan pipes. When I saw Walt's guarantee smack dab in bold these pipes immediately dominated my pad radar like the good year blimp. I know in many cases a guarantee is implied but the difference to me is like the difference between asking and telling. Briar is tricky as we all know.
Anyway, these are small pipes and I've mostly reached for pipes around .80-.92 diameter recently. I whipped out my tiny pipe .60" and had a great experience with it, so I'm game. I appreciate that Walt's recent pipes have been a bit closer to 3/4, but a smaller pipe isn't a game breaker any more.
So, my concern is about his tapered bits. They're chunkier than I'm use to and am curious how comfortable they are. If anyone has one, or has any thoughts abut these pipes at all, I'd be glad for your thoughts.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Don't own one, but looked them over at the NOLA pipe show. They are finely crafted pipes. But as you say they are a bit smaller. If he had a Lovat at the show, I would have bought it.

I understand the need to produce work faster to bring in a product at a lower price point. But, it's harder to get as excited about a pipe that is made by a pipe-maker that you like, but the pipe lacks all of the things that attracted me to the pipemaker to begin with. If he were mass producing black suede Dublin with white stems, I would be foaming at the mouth to get a whole rack of them. But, as it is, I don't see any of Walt Connoy in those pipes. I am a big fan of his work. I check his website religiously, awaiting something that I might be able to afford. The natural progression of his work over the last few years has been that of a true maestro. But, for me, I just can't get excited about these pipes. They seem totally unrelated to Walt's work. They could have been designed by just about any other pipemaker on the interwebs.
I do not say any of this out of malice, just my honest critique as a fan. It's like a fan of Eric Clapton being disappointed in that one bluegrass album he did with just a piano. Or, a fan of Picasso, being disappointed in that one watercolor painting he did of a barn. In my opinion Walt is one of the best designers and makers of pipes in North America. His work speaks to me. But, I just don't see any of what attracted me to his work in this line of pipes.
I hope he doesn't take offence to this. Maybe others see it all differently. I hope he does well. Maybe it will reach out and appeal to those who didn't immediately fall in love with his one-of-a-kind work. Maybe that is his goal.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
He's got some really nice pipes. I'm always keeping an eye on his site to see if anything new pops up.
Unfortunately I wanted to talk to him about doing a commission but he's not currently accepting commission requests.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks Vorhees.
Cosmic, the shapes are simple but interesting and the proportions make a lot of sense to the way I smoke and carry (pocket). I also think the bluegrass album was Clapton's best though :roll:

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I understand the need to produce work faster to bring in a product at a lower price point. But, it's harder to get as excited about a pipe that is made by a pipe-maker that you like, but the pipe lacks all of the things that attracted me to the pipemaker to begin with.
I agree with Cosmic. I have been thinking the very same thing since I saw the launch of Cardinal House.
I like small pipes, just not the disproportional pipes that seem to be gaining popularity. Cardinal House pipes do not seem to me to be very different from others. Cannoy pipes are unique. Like Beckers.
I am sure that the new line meets Walt's exacting standards, but I have not seen any that turn me on. In some small way, it is like a lineage has been ended.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I am sure that the new line meets Walt's exacting standards, but I have not seen any that turn me on. In some small way, it is like a lineage has been ended.

He's still making his Cannoy pipe's in case there was any doubt.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Bigpond said

No one likes to admit it but, well, I've had a string of bad luck with my last three artisan pipes. When I saw Walt's guarantee smack dab in bold these pipes immediately dominated my pad radar like the good year blimp. I know in many cases a guarantee is implied but the difference to me is like the difference between asking and telling. Briar is tricky as we all know.
If you read the guarantee carefully, the big difference is that no other pipemaker allows you to return a pipe for a full refund after it has been smoked simply because you didn't like how it smoked. To my knowledge, this is a first. I am confident in my work, and will back it up!
Anyway, these are small pipes and I've mostly reached for pipes around .80-.92 diameter recently. I whipped out my tiny pipe .60" and had a great experience with it, so I'm game. I appreciate that Walt's recent pipes have been a bit closer to 3/4, but a smaller pipe isn't a game breaker any more.
The sizes of the Cardinal House line range from small to huge. It's very important to look at the measurements listed along side of the pipe before purchasing. Most of these pipes have a chamber diameter ranging from 0.64 to 0.75 inches. This is consistent with Dunhill's averages for group 3 and 4 sizes, which represent the bulk of Dunhill's production.
So, my concern is about his tapered bits. They're chunkier than I'm use to and am curious how comfortable they are. If anyone has one, or has any thoughts abut these pipes at all, I'd be glad for your thoughts.
My stems are cut to US artisan maker specs. While some of the stubby stems necessarily taper up quickly, the more standard proportions are as comfortable as they come.
Here are the stems and buttons of three Cardinal House pipes (on the left), compared to a Savinelli Roma, Peterson, and MM cob (respectively, on the right):
WP_20151208_001_b.jpg

WP_20151208_004_b.jpg

Cosmic said:

The natural progression of his work over the last few years has been that of a true maestro. But, for me, I just can't get excited about these pipes. They seem totally unrelated to Walt's work.
If you think that's something, compare it to the pipes I made in 1999! :lol:
Yes, these are unrelated to my Cannoy line of pipes. The Cardinal House brand was never meant to be the same.
The only way these Cardinal House pipes are related to "my work" is in the fact that I am making them myself from block and rod to finished product. There is a sharp trend, it seems lately, for makers to line their pockets by taking (partially or entirely) mass produced pipes, and putting their brand on them. Ok, so they're offering a factory pipe in varying qualities, at various factory level prices, but encouraging sales by branding. Fair enough... That's been going on for as long as business has been business.
I'm not offering "branding". I'm offering a high grade experience at entry level prices. Going into this Cardinal House project, I had one single goal, and it wasn't to create a cash grab with a Cannoy stamp on it. It was to offer the best quality pipe on the market for under $300. Objective aficionados will say that I've done it. Smokingpipes previewed the Cardinal House prototypes in Chicago last may, and when they learned that the retail price point would range $189 to $269, they were immediately on board.
sjfine said:

Cardinal House pipes do meet a minimum set of standards I have in place for the line, but a smaller set of standards than a Cannoy branded pipe. I am still making Cannoy pipes on a limited basis. It is very difficult to make ends meet as a full-time pipemaker if you are only making high grade pipes. Most high-grade makers have other full-time jobs, or other supplemental income. I am now no different. Cardinal house pipes are my "day job", giving me the breathing room to take more time on my high-grade Cannoy pipes in my spare time.

May 31, 2012
The Stubby Squashed Bulldog currently available is dropdead sexy,

beautiful!
I would buy it if it was blasted as I don't collect smooths.
http://waltcannoy.com/the-langford-series/​
Walt,

any plans for future Cardinal House pipes to be blasted?
Would a suede blast be out of the question?

I'd reckon that the process is very time consuming.

Possibly a "poor mans" suede blast?

A more rudimentary version?
I totally understand if not,

because of the intense labor involved.
What about a trad blast but stained in your signature red with white stem?

Or is that color scheme reserved for your higher line?
If so, I completely understand,

but man, how I'd love it!
I really like what you're doing with the Cardinal House line,

great stuff and very well done.
Keep up the good work!

:puffy:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Wow! Thank you MLC for bumping this. I had totally missed Walt's reply. Walt, if you see this, thank you for responding! I've kept an eye on what is developing at the Cardinal House (via instagram), but have had a few lingering doubts. Now I don't :)

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
The Stubby Squashed Bulldog currently available is dropdead sexy,

beautiful!
I would buy it if it was blasted as I don't collect smooths.
http://waltcannoy.com/the-langford-series/
Easily a $500+ pipe. I'm shocked that it is still up for grabs!
Walt,

any plans for future Cardinal House pipes to be blasted?
Would a suede blast be out of the question?

I'd reckon that the process is very time consuming.

Possibly a "poor mans" suede blast?

A more rudimentary version?
I totally understand if not,

because of the intense labor involved.
To offer a suedeblast in this price range is just out of the question since the suedeblast is so ridiculously time consuming. But I do have a long-term goal of producing traditional blasts in the Cardinal House line. The equipment required for traditional blasting is completely different from that required for suedeblasting, so I will have to invest in all new equipment before this happens... (and find somewhere to fit it inside my 14 x 16 workshop)
What about a trad blast but stained in your signature red with white stem?

Or is that color scheme reserved for your higher line?
Well, I do want the overall styles between my two brands to be somewhat readily distinguishable. Also, having a limited option of finished helps to streamline the making process in many ways, which keeps prices low. For now, I have no plans of introducing any more variations of finishes.
I really like what you're doing with the Cardinal House line,

great stuff and very well done.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks! It has been four months since I introduced the Cardinal House line, and I have made and sold over a hundred pipes since then... and counting! Folks are loving them... really loving them, and I am getting many, many repeat customers. Being able to make pipes of this quality at this price point is a tall order, and my days of leisurely lounging out in the workshop, sipping away on coffee and slowly coaxing a pipe from a block of briar over the course of a few days, has given way to sweating over my machines and racing the clock in a fantastical display of swift precision and skillful efficiency, with hardly a minute to sit down.
Given the quality and value presented by the results of this work... I regret nothing! :D

May 31, 2012
Thanks! It has been four months since I introduced the Cardinal House line, and I have made and sold over a hundred pipes since then... and counting! Folks are loving them... really loving them, and I am getting many, many repeat customers. Being able to make pipes of this quality at this price point is a tall order, and my days of leisurely lounging out in the workshop, sipping away on coffee and slowly coaxing a pipe from a block of briar over the course of a few days, has given way to sweating over my machines and racing the clock in a fantastical display of swift precision and skillful efficiency, with hardly a minute to sit down.
Given the quality and value presented by the results of this work... I regret nothing! :D
Totally awesome!
Love your response.
We all appreciate your extra sweat ! :)
Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions,

I appreciate it!

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.