Anyone have an African meerschaum that has gained patina?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I've only seen one that has been fully colored (almost black) on the Internet. I was wondering if anyone here has one that has gained patina over the years. The pre-coloring that is often round around the rim of these pipes can spread and eventually color the entire pipe, so I've been told. Not sure if this will pick up any responses, but if you do have one, I'd appreciate if you added images. Thanks in advance!

P

pipebuddy

I've heard they do not colour. That's why they often come pre - coloured (I'm thinking some of the Peterson meerschaums some decades back).

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I bought this one used. It has a nice color/patina.
LVCMeerschaum_zpsed33a3c3.jpg

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
What a beautiful pipe! I've always preferred the smooth look. Do you ever treat it with wax or oils? And yes, they do gain patina, typically much slower than Turkish meers.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Other than cleaning and polishing I have not done anything to it. It may not color much under my ownership, I don't smoke it a lot. But that's okay. I like it the way it is.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Xrundog, what do you polish yours with? I plan to use jojoba oil on mine. It's very similar to spermaceti, chemically, I guess.
Gloucesterman, do you have any pics? I'd love to see a few if not all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.