Anyone have a spare Missouri Meerschaum Great Dane egg?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'm going to be having a custom cob pipe made (thanks, Michael Mirza) by DODiF. He usually uses a Diplomat for this style, but I think that a Great Dane egg, with its pointed bottom, would look better. Does anybody have a spare they'd sell?

Reactions: Friendly Piper

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Have called, they have none left.
Peteguy, there were two "Great Dane" shapes: the spool (an hourglass-like shape with a flat bottom) and the egg (shown in jamesrsmithjr's post, same shape as the Shire Cobbit, pointed bottom). Several years ago, due to poor growing seasons which didn't produce large enough cobs, the egg was discontinued and replaced by the spindle, which you describe; the spool is, or was, still in production.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Here are my display cards, showing the 90s Great Dane models. I purchased these at Missouri Meerschaum in 2004 and bought pipes (one each straight and bent, mostly seconds) to display on them.
0iDki5I.jpg

On the right, two of each of their basic series except the Patriot. Top to bottom: Great Dane (bent egg, straight spool), Diplomat, Legend, Country Gentleman, Washington, and Bulldog (discontinued a few years before, but they had a few left). On the left is a card designed for MacArthurs, which I used to show all three sizes of their large pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.