PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Picked this up just before Christmas. Had no knowledge of Mr. Weinberger but looked like an interesting pipe. It was rather neglected with a chipped and bent tenon but the price was right. Sent it to be fixed to Mark Tinsky who worked with Mr. Weinberger in the 70's. After a little cleaning and polishing it turned out very nicely. Some consider Mr. Weinberger to be the Father of American pipe carvers--at least an early pioneer. Anyone else have any experience with JHW pipes?? Thanks, Hoppes
BEFORE:

img_0704.jpg

img_0700.jpg

img_0701.jpg

AFTER:

img_0717.jpg

img_0718.jpg

img_0720.jpg

img_0721.jpg

img_0722.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yes. I should get this one out and give it a smoke!
attachment.php

I gave this one to a friend who really liked it when I posted about it in 2013,
attachment.php

:)

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I have one. I always wondered who made it. It is a nice pipe and appears to have been well loved and used by its former owner. Thanks for posting this.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
That's a great looking pipe. Maybe I still have one or two JHW's in my possession somewhere. They are extremely solid pipes with very nice grain. I always felt that Weinberger is the granddaddy of American freehand carvers. You couldn't have sent it off to a better person to get it fixed. Weinberger's shop was where Mark Tinsky got a start into the public pipe world. You kept that smoker within its rightful lineage. That's a little gem you have there. Congrats on that!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Just when I thought I'd found an easy way to post pictures to the forum... :|
Anyway, here are the two JHW pipes,
jhw-001-600x449.jpg

jhw-p-006-600x449.jpg

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.