Anyone familiar with this most unusual style of pipe from Ceylon?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I just won an auction for this pipe and wonder if anyone has ever seen anything like it. I'm wondering what the bowl and stem are made of and if it was truly designed as a tobacco pipe. I'm guessing that it's clay, with a silver cladding. I think it's beautiful, even if it doesn't turn out to be very functional. The lid makes it look like a teapot. According to the auction listing it is "Dutch Sinhyalese Silver with Finial Colonial Ceylon".
Dutch%20Ceylonese%20footed%20silver%20pipe.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome, elegant, exotic. I don't like knick-knacks in general, but this is more a work of art, a sculpture. A great piece of pipe decor. The price is right. I can easily see that in some fancy antique shop at $250, $300 or more. And selling.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I really appreciate history and have had to battle my past tendency to acquire knick-knacks that ultimately become clutter. I have some pipes in my collection which, if I were honest with myself, have no practical purpose. Examples include some Chicago-area pipes that I otherwise wouldn't keep and some "curiosities."
As you said, though,this pipe is a piece of art.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
My God that is beautiful! That would make a fine addition to anyone's smoking lounge, working or not. Especially at that price.
RC

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks RC! It's probably going to be awhile before it's in hand. I also bought a lot of two dozen unsmoked, high-grade, early 1980s James Upshall pipes mounted in a cool retro display case. Due to its size and weight and the fragility of the items which necessitate sturdy packaging, I'm expecting to use surface shipping. The 14-hour time difference makes each step of the buying and shipping process a bit lengthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.