Anyone Familiar with Goldex Cobs by Goldsmith Bros?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsholmes

Lurker
Nov 13, 2017
I have a couple of corncob pipes that I got in a lot from a local auction house. They are marked “Goldex Cobs, Goldsmith Bros, 77 Nassau St. NY”

As far as corncob pipes go, these seem very nice. They have a lovely bent shape. One is slightly larger than the other and both are in unsmoked condition. I’m not much of a cob man myself, so I was planning on selling them on eBay, but I can find no information on these pipes anywhere. I do know that Golsmith Bros was a stationary store that closed in the ‘70s but that’s about it. Does anyone know if these pipes are at all desireable? Are they worth anything, or are they junk? Thanks for any responses. Also, I am new to the site, so let me know if I am posting this in the wrong area, or breaking any rules. Thank you!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly on Forums people are warned to buy only MM cobs, but there are a select few other quality brands. Yours are from the past, but today's alternative quality brand is Old Dominion, with heritage cobs and reed stems, for an old time authentic experience. Some of my best smoking has been with cobs.

hsholmes

Lurker
Nov 13, 2017
Thank you for the responses. I’ll see if I can get pictures uploaded. Thank you for the words of welcome!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This may help for those who like short how-to's.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Using "google magic" it appears Goldsmith Brothers sold tobacco and pipes as well as stationary and office supplies. Can't find any pics so far. There were several manufacturers of corn cob pipes early on and these could be one just labelled as a store brand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Guys, I am not, nor will I ever be, the Forums grammarian nor spelling expert, especially not spelling. However, just to point out one of the thousand quirky components of English, stationary means located in one place. However when you refer to paper, pens and other office supplies, the spelling (sneakily) changes to an "e," stationery. Why is this? Don't ask.

hsholmes

Lurker
Nov 13, 2017
a9xT5Gy

hsholmes

Lurker
Nov 13, 2017
mso489, I feel like I should pull my Bachelors of English off the wall. Haha. I can’t believe I didn’t catch that. Thank you.

jpmcwjr, thanks for the tutorial! I’m on my iPhone and can’t tell at the moment if it is working.

prairiedruid, I found similar info. I couldn’t find any info on perceived value etc. I guess the answer is that they are worth what someone will pay.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I look forward to seeing these. I know of several retailers who seem to have marked corncob pipes; "John Surrey, Ltd." is another. I love unusual cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.