PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I was looking at this stuff last night and from what I read in the description, it sounds like all you need to do with this stuff is just work it into the stem and it will remove the oxidation and shine up the stem, at least in theory. This sounds a little too easy. Anyone ever use this stuff/know someone who has had experience with it?

Jul 15, 2011
I believe I saw it on the smokingpipes.com website. I already have a good method for de-oxidizing my estate stems, but if this is true it sounds like WAY less hassle then what I am doing currently. I suppose for the money, it couldn't hurt anything.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I have a small tube someone gave me. It looks and smells like typical metal polish and does an OK job; nothing spectacular. A friend suggested I use it with a buffer (instead of just using a cloth) and I said if I had a buffer I wouldn't need this stuff.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
My understanding was that it is more of a preventative sort of thing. Keeps your stems polished and helps to prevent oxidation.
I never thought that it actually got rid of it.
I know there have been threads on this before somewhere...

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
If thats all it does I'll stick to using Dunhill stem polish, this does a great job of making your stem look like new without the use of a buffer, it may seem expensive but a little bit goes a long way.

Jul 15, 2011
My understanding was that it is more of a preventative sort of thing. Keeps your stems polished and helps to prevent oxidation.
That would make more sense. I think I might have been reading the description wrong. If I am going to go with a product of that nature, I think I will just stick with the Obsidian Stem Oil as I have heard nothing but good things about it, and have heard almost nothing about the Brebbia, save from what you fellas have told me. Thanks for the info!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I've used it for years on Vulcanite, Ebonite, Acrylic, Lucite, Amber and Bone with good results. It also works well on the Silver bands that some of my Pipes have. It does seem to have a long lasting result, depending upon the surface it's used on. It is likely on a par with other fine metal polishes like Fitz, but because it is promoted for use on bits, I feel more comfortable using it due to the likelihood of it having less potential for toxic effects.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Ive heard nothing about it either. I have some in the mail coming at me though :lol: I understand its more of a preventative though. I have no problems removing oxidation through my own methods, but I lack a nice preventative polish. Sounds like this should do the trick.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
We like it and for a while we bought it in bulk to include with our restorations. It doesn't work as well immediately as the stem oil you can find advertised on this site, but it lasts a lot longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.