PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Lol.

So I stumbled upon reviews for Vermont Meat Candy. I prefer non-aros but I love me some bacon. This isn't about VMC though. It's description got me to thinking, has anyone ever tried using their smoker/grill to infuse some hickory or other flavors in their tobacco? Better, (or worse) has anyone ever used tobacco to smoke a salmon or some ribs?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
There's Lamb Cake on tobaccoreviews.com. Has some sort of basted lamb in the leaf. Other than that, I've never heard of a really literally meaty tobacco.
Pipestud

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Putting some bacy in the smoker might work, Semi-homemade Latakia of sorts? On some tv cooking show I saw some chef made a coffee and tobacco flan or custard. I have heard of some tobacco infused vodka cocktails but have never tried one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Somehow the idea of tobacco flavors of various kinds in a nice steak, chicken drum, trout, lamb chop or

other food doesn't sound promising. It might be tried (not by me please) with a burger or two and see

if it melds at all. Somehow tobacco seems a different taste/fragrance group from hickory, mesquite, and

such.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Using wood to smoke tobacco I can get behind (isn't that how they make Latakia?) but using tobacco to smoke meat sounds terrible. As much as I love some Frog Morton, I don't think I would want the room note in my beef or the stuff that ends up on my pipe cleaners anywhere near my lips. That's what a well made airway is for.

Mar 1, 2014
Given that Latakia is just smoked leaf, it certainly would make sense to try using wood known for flavouring.

I have to wonder if this falls into the category of things that every blender has already tried and didn't like, or if it just isn't done because people are creatures of habit.
From what I've heard there's nothing stopping people from imparting more flavour to the finished product. So, who's going to try it first?

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I'm not so sure it's a crazy idea. Don't know about using it to smoke meats though, that doesn't sound too appetizing.
Straight from the field and unprocessed, tobacco is just another plant like any other herb. Unadulterated, dried, and ground into fine flakes like other spices, why not? It's an interesting idea. I don't think I'm gonna be the first one to jump up and try it, LOL, but certainly interesting.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It would be interesting to hear what Burley or Virginia (straight unflavored) would be like when smoked over hickory, pear, apple, ect. I'm not sure what they smoke Burley over to make Kentucky Dark Fired, but it turns out nice! Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
http://the-dogs-breakfast.com/2010/02/07/adventures-in-ice-cream/
Cigar and bourbon ice cream?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Gave this some serious thought as I love grilling and I finally came to a conclusion... YUK.

Jul 15, 2011
has anyone ever used tobacco to smoke a salmon or some ribs?
Funny you should say this, because this exact thought actually popped into my head the other day. I was talking with my brother in law about cooking food in a smoker and I wondered what it would be like to maybe soak some cigar leaf and use it to smoke a nice pork loin. Might have to try it some time.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Had a little free time on my hands...

image92-600x450.jpg

Decided to try to smoke a few oz.'s of McC's Bulk 2010, a pretty mild/mellow straight VA

image93-600x450.jpg

After about an hour at around 250 degrees F using hickory wood chips, I got a pile of super dry, super crumbly, vinegar/ketchupy smelling tobacco (tin note went unchanged :? ). Currently trying to re-hydrate in a Tupperware with a wet paper towel in between the lid and the baccy. We'll see what happens, if anything.

image94-600x450.jpg

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I can toss you a sample if you're interested. That is if this isn't another one of my waste of a good baccy failures. Lol.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Experimenting with McClelland bulk 2010 is not a waste of good tobacco -- because it's not good tobacco! :rofl:
While talking about McC's bulks, 2025 has Xanthi leaf in it; and I think it imparts an intriguing musty taste,

reminding me somehow of the gamey taste of stewed mutton. It goes quite well with the lemony Virginias.
And the words "charred meat" are mentioned occasionally when describing an aspect of 2015's flavor.
H&H Larry's Blend is also said to have a gamey taste about it, but I've never tried it.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Hummm...If I were to fire my smokehouse with Frog Morton instead of the usual hickory, then do you suppose that regardless of what I were to hang in there it would eventually come out tasting, "just like chicken"?

Status
Not open for further replies.