Anyone Ever See A Peterson System Pipe With An Aluminum Ferrule?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I came across an old "Made in England" pre-republic pipe that has an aluminum ferrule. It's on a system 3 pipe. I'm no expert on Petersons, and I can't seem to find any reference to this. It has the name Peterson stamped on it along with the clover, fox and tower emblems. It's very thin and light weight, and looks and feels nothing like the usual nickel or silver ferrules I've seen. The Made in England stamp on the pipe is in a circle so it seems like it could be dated to the late 30s to early 40s. I'm just about done restoring this pipe, but I kept thinking about the ferrule material. I'll try to post a pic later.
Anyone ever come across this type of ferrule?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
I guess nobody's got any info so far, but here's a pic if it helps.
img_0035-600x411.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Warren, it's not nickel, I've got pipes with both silver and nickel bands or ferrules, and they have a much different look. This metal is very lightweight and is a "white" color metal, rather than the warmer nickel or silver. I've got another pic that might show it better, and shows the damage to the shank that I had to repair.
img_0010-600x449.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Was aluminum used in pipes otherwise in the 1930's and 40's? That sounds unlikely to me, but I'm

no expert. The aluminum industry blossomed during World War Two in building aircraft and post-War

gave rise to aluminum canoes and lawn furniture and so many other consumer products. Before the War,

the embellishment of consumer products with aluminum was pretty rare ... or so I think.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm a Peterson aficionado and certainly not an expert. Peterson site states that those hallmarks indicate nickel. So, if you are sure, then I think "huttleusedpipes" observation is the best lead so far.
Peterson says the only pipes that can be properly dated are silver or gold mounted. Otherwise a range of years may be determined from such things as the trade marks and other markings. So, if not nickel than aluminum it is as Peterson states that the metal was used.
Sorry! Best I can do.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Orley and warren:
I was mistaken, and for that I apologize. The "A Peterson Dating Guide..." on pipedia.org had this to say concerning the markings which appear on the ferrule:
"Before we close this section on silver hallmarks, we must address the marks that many people refer to as hallmarks. Peterson uses three marks on some of their pipes that are not silver hallmarks but are rather another Peterson logo (See Enclosure 4). These marks are:
A Shamrock for the many shamrocks found in Ireland

A Prone Fox representing the famous fox hunts in Ireland's history, and

A Stone Tower for the many hundreds of stone towers spotted throughout Ireland
Again these are not genuine silver hallmarks."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
No apology necessary. I stumbled on to that information a few years ago. Never needed the info as I am not a collector. It's always fun to learn something new, even when it is mostly useless trivia. You never know when such info will come in handy, especially in a bar bet.
I referred to them as "hallmarks" not "trademarks." Further I stated that the marks indicated nickle, and I know better, the info was just filed too deep in my mind to recall it properly.
Words mean something and I messed it up. Mea culpa!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Hey guys, no apologizes needed! Everybody's comments are interesting and useful. I find trying to date a Peterson is a difficult process to some degree, as there is so much information to go through. I did some research months ago when trying to date another pre-republic Peterson, and it took a little while for sure. I just found it odd that the ferrule on this was aluminum. If the pipe really dates to the late 30s or early 40s, using aluminum would seem an odd choice as you would think it would be in short supply during war years. I don't know what other date it could be from what I've read though.
Hittel, I thought I'd seen your name on this site, and I was glad to get the pipe at what I considered a fair price. It was a lot of work, but it's going to be a Christmas present to my wife as it's from an era very close to her birthdate. We're not people that feel the need to have a birth year pipe exactly, it's just kind of fun having a pipe to smoke that is about our own age. I've got a Peterson made in the mid to late 40s that I restored and enjoy smoking on a regular basis. (yeah, my wife's a little older than me, heh, heh)
Thanks again for all the feedback on this though. Love these old pipes and their history! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. If that ferrule is aluminum, it would be fascinating to know its source. I wonder if there were

aluminum casting plants in UK or Ireland when this pipe was made, or if they were contracted out elsewhere.

Probably the Peterson historian knows, if he's still around.

Status
Not open for further replies.