PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsense

Lurker
May 17, 2013
Just curious, I'm filing down the stems of the last two pipes I've purchased, both were whistlers. Not the first time I've done it though. I've filed the bits of others to open the air ways before. Just curious if anyone else has modified their pipes and what are your thoughts on doing it?

Jan 8, 2013
I have tinkered around with a few. One had a cracked shank, so I sawed part of it off, not sure if I will ever smoke it again...

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
When you say filing down the stems, in which way? The round part that enters the shank? The bore of the stem?
I was forced to modify a Grabow freehand. It was one of my first pipes, and I didn't realize that the stem didn't fit properly in the shank, and there was a gap. Some modification solved that.

I modify all of my p-lips an a few that had very odd holes coming out of the button. I also like to thin the stem at the button to make it fit my clench better. I have drilled one out to open it up, but that was because it was originally drilled incredibly narrow. And, if they come lacquered or waxed, I strip all of that off to allow the pores of the briar to breath.
I side with Rick Newcombe on pipes being like clothes off the rack that may need a little tailoring to get that custom fit. However, is someone isn't comfortable using the tools or has a pipe of extraordinary value, I would suggest sending it off to be modified by a professional.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Minor modifications here - opened up two draft holes, and sanded down a replacement stem for one of my cobs that was a little tight.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I am with Michael (Cosmic). The pipes that are not precious to me and are "not quite right" as we say in the South, get some modifications. That is not to say that I have not screwed up at times, most memorably drilling out right through the heel to open up the draw - which it certainly did! Then I learned how to fill a hole... There's my dirty laundry.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've opened up draft holes on several of my pipes. Just a personal preference, and only if I felt they needed it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
P-Lips seem to get a lot of modifications, as the earlier post mentioned. I have only one P-Lip, which

I enjoy smoking as a change of pace, but haven't bought others. The one is a handsome Peterson

Killarney bent Rhodesian, lovely pipe. I have bought three Forever stems for cobs, which are a great

modification. Just remember, when you add the Forever stem you change a filter pipe to a non-filter,

which to me was a good thing. With an unfiltered MM cob, you have to order the Forever stem specifically

for those pipes. Also remember, the stems are handmade on order, so you can ask they be trimmed to

any specific length, which tailored one of my stems to my exact specs.

Alcohol will take it off. It doesn't come easily. One of my Savinelli Piumas that seemed to be smoking hotter than the rest had a thick varnish, and alcohol seemed to be taking forever to dissolve it, so I dipped cotton balls in acetone to remove it as easily as fog on a mirror. It evaporates super fast, so it doesn't soak into the briar at all. But, try alcohol first. No need to go for the hard stuff unless you have to. It's not good to breath that stuff at all.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Thanks. I have a varnished pipe that smokes well, but I don't like the varnish look. It does smoke warmer than my others also.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Though I know a thing or two about pipe smoking, such knowledge does not provide me license to modify them. I might well ruin pipes in the effort to make them better. I leave this to the professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.