PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldpipesoul

Lurker
May 12, 2017
I read two threads about smoking while sick, but mostly about not enjoying a pipe when unable to smell or taste. I had some sort of stomach flu last week and the thought of smoking still almost makes me sick. Of course I had to try tonight anyway, but that didn't last long. I know this is different for each person, but do some of you get turned off for quite a while?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
This has happened to me a couple of times after having a stomach bug. But not just with pipe smoking. Sometimes after a bug, I will get nauseous from cigars and food smells as well. It normally goes away after a few days from the time I get over the bug.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The same has happened to me. Take it as a good sign - an addict would be craving and smoking where you are put off and abstaining.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Yup, I was recently struck down with may have been the flu and just didn't want a pipe during that time.

My sense of taste and smell were so screwed up, I doubt that I would have enjoyed it anyway.

oldpipesoul

Lurker
May 12, 2017
Garcia effect... I was thinking no, but then I remembered I probably had a pipe before I ended up mixing in a little too much of my 190 proof pipe cleaning stash while watching a movie.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's generally wise not to smoke a pipe when you have a bug, are coming down with something, or have a medical or dental procedure, etc. I understand nic constricts the capillaries. It's just good sense to lay off, and it goes without saying when you don't savor the idea of a bowl full. Lay off, and when you feel well, celebrate.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
After the kidney stone I had no desire to smoke for quite some time, a month or so. I don't smoke when I'm sick, just no desire. Kinda like that when I'm on a trip. I often take a break from smoking for a few weeks when traveling.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Right now I'm working my way through some kind of cold/virus and have no desire to light up. Makes me a bit queasy just to think about smoking, although I do miss sitting out on the deck with a pipe.

oldpipesoul

Lurker
May 12, 2017
When something is so new it's seems difficult to know when to just"push through.". After last night I will definitely just have wait until it's really sounding good again. The bummer is that today I finally have a chance to visit a b&m tobacco shop to look for something other than otc's. Always working on patience, just another way pipes are teaching me.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Yeah, for many the addiction is to the peace and relaxation pipe smoking brings. I often miss the quiet solitude more than the tobacco.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Well I came back to smoking my pipe when diagnosed with terminal cancer in 2013, thought what the hell nothing to lose! Smoked 25 years before, then went into body building and fitness. Still got cancer. Love my pipe and the pleasure it brings me, never missed a day smoking since 2013.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sometimes it's almost the opposite- I don't feel like a bowl and it's a sign I'm going down! Same with strong coffee; I lose the taste for it when sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.