PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm probably in the minority here. But just as I like a well broken-in and scuffed pair of boots, a well-worn pair of jeans, a truck with plenty of bed dings, an off road jeep with dents, etc, I like a pipe with some use on it. Oxidized stem? Doesn't bother me. Like it. A nick or two? No problem. Stem chatter? Bring it.
Don't get me wrong: there are many collectors and pipe-tinkerers here and I love seeing the pictures of your beautiful pipes. I salute you.
But anyone else here take a utilitarian stance towards their pipes and appreciate the look and feel of a well-worn, happy pipe?

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I kind of have pipes for both occasions. I have some nice pipes that I take meticulous care of, keep them neat and shiny and enjoy them when I sit and relax for a good smoke. Then I have a few knock around ones that I have picked up, mostly inexpensive estates, for when I'm working on something or need a pipe I can just toss in the truck console and go.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have workhorse pipes that are worn, and others that range all the way to pristine. As long as they deliver a sweet smoke I don't care if a pipe is worn, has beauty marks, whatever. Besides, that's all on the outside. As we learn in life, it's the inside that matters. Worn and battered or new and pristine, the insides are clean and in good working order.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I'm with you Perique. I like my pipes well-worn, as long as I'm the one doing the wearing. And it doesn't matter the cost; I treat them all the same. My cheapest pipe is just under a hundred bucks and I've chewed off a good portion of the stem; happens to be one of my favorites too. I do give the stems and bowls a good polish ever 6 months, but other than that... I too like the way they collect "scars" over the years. They look like they're being used.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I keep many of my estate pipes in a rougher shape. I sanitize and clean them, but don't polish them up too much. I like the battered look too. It gives the pipe character and shows that it was well used.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
It seems that our fathers and grandfathers had a much more utilitarian view of their pipes. Not that there's anything wrong with the modern, hobbiest approach! I love the gorgeous pipes we see here and I respect the hobbiests. I just personally prefer the well worn, heavily smoked, imperfect pipes. Glad to know I'm not the only one. :)
I even like the look of an oxidized stem :eek:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm with you, Perique. Like Warren said,
  • I don't abuse them, but neither am I too fastidious about them. The odd nick or scar doesn't bother me, just adds a bit to their life story.

One glance at my rack will tell you this is my favorite, a pricey Ser Jac Picta Van Gogh.

I smoke the hell out of it, but I keep it clean and smoking sweetly.

SJVanGogh2.jpg

I do have a few pipes that I only smoke when dappered up, but I also think of my pipes as living things. My most used favorites get darker with use, with cake crawling over the rim, chewed stems, and marks from dropping them or knocking the ash. Those are my favorites, and they each have life stories. But, my dapper pipes get TLC with a good wiping down and cleaning after each use. But, I don't tend to use them as often.
Savinellis and Nordings make up my most used bunch, great smokers, cheap as hell, and take a beating well. :wink:

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I'm with you there bud, all of my pipes are estates and I ream, retort, and de-oxidize the stem and that's it. I take care of them but none of mine have a nice shine of a new pipe. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.....

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
All my pipes are my babies cheap or high price. I do always clean and shine in and out.

Even when I smoking I do rubbing pipe with clean clothes and clean rim.

I do keep tell them how much I like smoking and all my pipes.

They do always answer to me with nice looking and good smoking.

I know they will live longer than me.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah, I like pipes that have some history showing, as well as the occasional new pipe. Most of my pipes are well used, but well cared for. Not a big fan of oxidized stems, don't like the taste, but the briar can have all kinds of dings etc. as far as I"m concerned. If it smokes good, I'm happy.

Posting a pic of a couple of old cameras I have had over 35 years and still use, to show how I feel about this kind of stuff. You can see that they show more than a little wear. They still work and the glass on the lenses is in good condition. I like film photography, still have a black and white darkroom and almost all my equipment is old and shows signs of use, but I like it, like the history it represents and if it stops working, I fix it. Same with the pipes. For some reason these things bring me joy and contentment.

img_01191-600x375.jpg

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I really only take issue with oxidation and thick cake, though I will confess to periodically shining my stems with some olive oil.
In my opinion, a well-worn pipe and a dirty pipe are also totally different.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Yes, most of my pipes are well-worn. But, they smoke OK so I've no complaints.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
I can appreciate a well worn pipe. It gives character. Tells a story. However admittedly I do baby my pipes in moderation. I'm not a daily pipe smoker so I don't have a work horse knock around pipe that I don't care about. The first ding or scratch on a pristine pipe is always a little bit of a bummer but I don't lose sleep over it. For me it depends on where the pipe came from. If it's an estate pipe from an unknown person I look for nicer condition or one I can try my hand at reworking because I don't have a connection with it. If it was from my father or grandfather then I would covet the scars it displays and they would probably spark a drive down memory lane.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
All my pipes have the cake well maintained and are kept clean, but I don't get into polishing too much with the exception of a very few that are new enough that rub a bit of carnuba wax on from time to time in order to maintain that look ...

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What an excellent thread!
These pipes of ours are tools: and they're subject to extreme heat on lighting and sheer neglect when the coal expires.
Enjoy them and appreciate their cosmetic imperfections
Fnord

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I love bringing an old pipe back to working order. I don't have any equipment to buff them to a like new appearance, so my estates look well worn, but this does not effect performance. A pipe artist can instantly create a beautiful pipe before your eyes, but character has to be earned over time.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I have always been hard on my pipes. I often smoke on the go and my pipes collect scratches, dents and rim darkening. Most of my collection consists of rusticated and sandblasted pipes which show a bit less wear. But I have always enjoyed the look of a well worn pipe. I also use softie bits so don't mind stem oxidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.