PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
#1: let me go on the record that I do not think pipe smoking is a weird habit, but I Betty we have all had the raised eyebrow look from the majority of the general public.
#2: for example; a few months ago, I was in my recliner on a Friday night watching movies (as usual) and something inside me compelled me to look through the curtains where I was rewarded (see intrigued) by a particular grey fox in the neighbor's yard hunting rabbits. I absolutely love the great outdoors and was so fascinated by the spectacle that I continued to peer through the window at approx the same time every night of every weekend for several months, and was often rewarded by seeing my cunning grey friend at least once a week. then one day I leapt before I looked and let my dogs out late to go to the bathroom at which point Louie (who was already prone to chase rabbits) startled the fox standing less than 20yds from my front porch and chased him away...never to be seen again.
anyways, after my alcohol induced long windedness, does anyone else have any "odd" (for lack of a better term) habits that you have acquired that are unique to only you?

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
For me it is more of a habit than hobby, I haven't turned on a projector in months. I buy, sell, collect 16mm films & have the old Drive-In Intermissions printed new on film for what is left of the 16mm film collector world.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I enjoy semi-pro baseball, (Best entertainment for $5.00 there is.) there are a couple leagues near me, about 20 teams in all, so there is usually a game going. (Doesn't sound very unusual yet, does it?) I don't like sitting in the stands, so I bring a folding chair and sit out along one of the foul lines. (Here comes the weird part.) Thunderstorms are usually at their peak during the ball season, a storm just about every evening. When a storm gets close to the field, I will watch it instead of the game. Usually, that involves turning my chair around. I get no end of funny looks from people walking by as I sit with my back to the game, but even an average lightning storm is better than the most spectacular fireworks display you ever saw! To date, I have never been hit on the head with a foul ball, but I have had a few close calls.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
A lightening storm (can anyone say epiphany) is actually what made me realize how much I love pipe smoking. I love kind of out in the country. It was around 10pm, the wife and kid were asleep, and I was relaxing on the front porch with a nice latakia blend while watching a gorgeous purple electrical storm in the distance. it was dark and quiet, and in the sky opposite the storm the starts were out. It was, forgive me if I sound sappy, magical.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
weird nope, unless you consider the pursuit of Bigfoot knowledge weird.
I don't find that weird, I always keep my eyes peeled for sasquatch when I drive north of here. Doesn't everyone?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am the sum of my weird habits. One is seldom using an ATM machine but always seeing a

bank teller. My explanation to friends is, if a miscalculation is made with my money, I want it to

be a crime, a sin, or a terrible mistake, not the nihilistic vortex of some damned chip circuit,

thank you very much. That doesn't seem weird to me at all. It seems at least faintly coherent.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Before I got old and fat, I used to huck myself down steep snow covered slopes. I have plenty of memories and I become an even better skier in my memories.

Aug 14, 2012
I have a weird habit left over from art school. I draw and paint pictures of nude women. Maybe not that weird, but it is strange that I keep doing it. I am no longer as interested in the subject as I once was, but I keep on painting it. Habit, I guess, but that is what you asked about.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I wouldn't say weird habits, but a couple of weird hobbies, I suppose. I shoot traditional archery, and really quite fancy getting hold of a medieval type training sword, and having a go at proper sword fighting (not poncy fencing).

And, I occasionally buy and restore old fountain pens. Not to any exceptional standard, I'm sorry to say, but just getting them back to working order again and cleaned up a bit. Far nicer to write with than a biro or anything.
(As bowhunting is illegal where I am, Archery is a seldom seen sport. Traditional archery even more seldom - it's a tricky bugger to get consistent!)

Status
Not open for further replies.