Anyone Else Get A Sore Throat From Smoking Perique?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Recently I've been on a bit of a VaPer bender smoking almost exclusively such blends for over a week now. About three days into this journey I noticed my throat becoming sore and it still is today.
I'm still only smoking five to six bowls per day so I can't blame over smoking for this. I wonder, has anyone else suffered in such a way through smoking Perique?
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I smoke mostly VaPers too, but never noticed an untoward effect -- at least nothing I attribute to the Perique content. I guess the only way for you to tell is to take a hiatus from Perique and try it again later. If you're smoking different blends with Perique maybe the irritation is caused by one of them, but not related to Perique.
I've heard of reactions to red Virginia, but not Perique.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I'm a lightweight, Jay and smoke maybe two bowls a day when I'm on a roll. Could it be a bit of strep or some other bug and not smoking?

Eric

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
From time to time I will get a sore throat from smoking blends containing perique. I usually stop smoking such blends for a week and the sore throat will go away. When I get back to the perique blends I'll just take it easy for a month and my throat doesn't get sore. Moral to this story is just go easy on the perique.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
I never felt it, admittedly I do a couple bowls a month and not a day.. Is this a reoccurring thing? Otherwise it might be strep or something like cranse iron suggested.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like all blend genres, but my most smoked are the Virginia/VaPer/VaBur families of blends. No soreness here. Sounds like a virus, or seasonal allergy.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well folks, many thanks for your varied responses. Since I initially posted I realised that I am coughing up more (brown) phlegm than normal which would concur with those who suggest I might have an infection.
As for laying off any blends with Perique in them goes, that I really ought do, but as it happens I have another bundle of blends arriving this week from the good old USA and in amongst the lot are four new to me Vapers which I'm itching to try.
I reckon I shall have a bowl of each then leave off Perique for a week or so to see if there is any positive change.
Yes Yaddy, I retrohale an awful lot.
Thanks fellas :clap:
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People vary widely in their susceptibility and sensitivity to different exposures. If Perique gets you every time, likely it won't work for you. It is easily avoided since there are so many good blends that don't include it. It is a luxury condiment tobacco.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I am not bothered by Red Virginia or Perique. But, I have had some tobaccos that irritated the back of my throat. I gave them a fair trial but in the end I found a way to trade them off. And, I heard no complaints from the "new" owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.