banner

Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Anyone else feel wierd about smoking an estate pipe?

(237 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobwills

Login to Send PM

I recently purchased a few estate pipes on eBay. When I received them I cleaned them and started getting excited about smoking my new pipes. When I went to load a bowl in one of them I get a little wierd about it and went back to one of my pipes. I can't seem to want to smoke the estates that I purchased. I was wondering if anyone else has similar feelings with estate pipes

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep because it is weird.

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was quite surprised myself at how easy-going people were about smoking used pipes.
    I myself can not do it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke Estates all the time. What's weird about it? You're not smoking a cadaver's finger.

Did you clean the pipe? You're good to go.

I have pipes that are over 100 years old....I like to think about where they've been.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't do it either. We had a big huge thread about smoking dead mens' pipes awhile ago. It was difficult to communicate that the problem is not with fear of germs, but rather a visceral discomfort that transcends germiness altogether.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pores in the stem must be filled with all kinds of stuff.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobwills

Login to Send PM

Yes! It's not germs it's something else that I can't explain. I have a friend who recently is getting into pipe smoking and he is buying estates and I think I will give them to him.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not one bit. Most of my pipes are estates. Have you ever eaten at a restaurant? Do you think you're the first person to eat with that fork or drink from that glass? Same difference.

Not if the pipe has been properly cleaned.

RESPECT THE PIPE!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an Eltang Cutty and a Heeschen P that are both estates.

Neither creep me out and both were relative bargains.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. styler

styler

Login to Send PM

Precisely Piffyr, putting a restaurant fork in your mouth is exactly the same thing.

Looking at it from the other side. I quite like the idea that the pipes I enjoy now may be enjoyed by many other people, well into the future (for as long as they can source tobacco that is!).

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No problems here. Ever use a public toilet?

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No problem here. I think the older pipes have charm that new pipes don't.

Jason
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No big deal for me. None of the effete posters ever eat at restaurants, no doubt. I am a germ-phobe and carry sanitizer around and go OCD with it. I have a few "pre-owned" pipes, clean them with Everclear and off I go. I am waiting until my 2021 birthday to fire-up my 1921 Dunhill, but not because I'm grossed-out by it.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The answer, then, is yes.

But quite the minority view. I have 30 or so estates, never a problem. OMG, now I am going to think about it all.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is really less of an issue than you think. Briar is incredibly dense and just doesn't absorb "gunk" to great degree; further, cleaning estate pipes and sanitizing them is a pretty simple process returning solid results.

Whenever the OP's question arises the folks who say, "No," to estate pipes seem to divide into to camps: Camp Creepy and Camp Gross. Since those are both personal determinations no one else should try to convince the believer otherwise. Frankly, I wish more of you would take on one of these perspectives to drive the prices of estates down, and the availability of hard to find shapes/makes up.

More than 2/3 of my pipes were estates when they came to me. All of my pipes, tobacco and shop equipment has been funded by the purchase, refurb and resale of estate pipes.

So, nope, I do not find smoking an estate pipe weird at all.

-- Pat

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sounds like what you find weird is the same thing that I find enticing. The story behind the pipe and where it has traveled is a mystery to me. I like to dream about the history when I find a sweet pipe that is almost a hundred years old already. Once it's cleaned up, I can't wait to smoke it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry but I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that reuses wooden spoons especially if patrons of the place would hold them in this mouths for an extended amount of time allowing their saliva to enter the wood then only cleaning them with a cloth towel Lolz. I can already see saliva oozing down the pipe in the profile pic above lol.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, Swilling. I'll take a lot of shitty comments, but being called effete is NOT one of them. Of course I eat in restaurants; I use public toilets when the need arises. I understand germ theory just fine; apparently you're the one who does not. Unless you want some insults slung your way about your sissy-ass sanitizer, back off with the "effete" bullshit. We're just trying to have a civil conversation here. Everyone respected your objections to ill usage of religious language, especially myself. Please keep that in mind.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is really less of an issue than you think. Briar is incredibly dense and just doesn't absorb "gunk" to great degree; further, cleaning estate pipes and sanitizing them is a pretty simple process returning solid results.

Whenever the OP's question arises the folks who say, "No," to estate pipes seem to divide into to camps: Camp Creepy and Camp Gross. Since those are both personal determinations no one else should try to convince the believer otherwise. Frankly, I wish more of you would take on one of these perspectives to drive the prices of estates down, and the availability of hard to find shapes/makes up.

More than 2/3 of my pipes were estates when they came to me. All of my pipes, tobacco and shop equipment has been funded by the purchase, refurb and resale of estate pipes.

So, nope, I do not find smoking an estate pipe weird at all.

-- Pat

Pat!!! Good to see ya!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@hakchuma: I wouldn't want to eat at that restaurant either, but proper cleaning of kitchen cutlery and estate pipes involves more than just a cloth towel.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's another more politically correct form of bug chasing. I wonder how people feel about using estate straight razors?

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is "bug chasing"?

Nevermind. I looked it up (and wish I hadn't). There just isn't enough brain bleach...

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry but I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that reuses wooden spoons especially if patrons of the place would hold them in this mouths for an extended amount of time allowing their saliva to enter the wood then only cleaning them with a cloth towel Lolz. I can already see saliva oozing down the pipe in the profile pic above lol.

Nor would any person worried about food borne illness or communicable diseases. Fortunately, your example isn't likely to occur to the well educated estate pipe buyer.

First, briar is significantly harder, denser, and less likely to absorb moisture and harbour microbes and pathogens than other woods.

Second, I don't know many who would recommend you smoke an estate pipe that hasn't been properly refurbished and sanitized.

Please note, I'm not trying to dismiss your fears... I'm just pointing out that the picture you've painted, while poetic, isn't par for the course with estate buying.

-- Pat

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

ottorank56

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I had misgivings. But they are steralized thoroughly. I would think that my estate pipe was formerly smoked by Raquel Welch, and that helped.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it will be less creepy if the stems gets changed, I don't find it creepy, if I were to die, I would rather give my pipes to someone that will get good use of them, I have read also that some brick and mortar shops have a machine that sanitize the pipe completely.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

ottorank56

Login to Send PM

I am using Playtex Binkies now in lieu of pipes. Pacifying, although you do get a few strange looks,mainly from women over 50. Still, beats the scorn of most everyone smoking a bowl of even red amphora.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

ottorank56

Login to Send PM

If only a famous brother of the briar could be mediazized with a playtex Binkie, I would be more accepted. It does look funny at present and sends maybe a misconception.It needs to be legitimized as theraphy for PTSD.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think most of you people forgot that stems are made of Vulcanite and Acryl, not of wood...

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is awesome. This is like saying, "I don't really feel comfortable dancing on this grave" and having people reply, "Why? There's no cow shit on it".

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not fear. More like disgust.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Why so serious?"

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wouldn't think of smoking castoff pipes. I would only consider purchasing a used pipe if such was of proven historical significance. I would leave it untouched and would not consider smoking it. I worked long and hard to get where I am today, I no longer buy used cars, houses, etc.

However, if someone enjoys or can only afford used pipes more power to 'em. Same for the guys who have figured out a way to make a buck reconditioning used pipes and then selling them. Just not my "cup o'tea".

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Warren- Exactly. Never been more of a case of "to each their own".

@Jackswilling- If you're asking me, it's because in my view, being called "effete" is a damnable insult to one's character. Look it up- to me it's no compliment.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"To each his own" is odd based on some of the responses which are more akin to "to each his own, unless you don't do it my way".

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To each their own. I personally don't have a problem with smoking an estate pipe, if its not your cup of tea then that ok too.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 2 years ago #
  36. tmb152

tmb152

Login to Send PM

Most of my pipes are estates. Some were barely smoked once. Most were super clean upon arrival. All got the cleaning of their lives afterwards. Guaranteed nothing could survive my cleaning. Took some down to the raw wood and refinished from the ground up! Got most at 1/10th their cost if bought new.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. hmhaines

hmhaines

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woops, double post!

"Following the path of least resistance is what makes the river crooked."
    U. Utah Phillips
    Posted 2 years ago #
  38. hmhaines

hmhaines

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm an antique tool guy: I've got a collection of pliers, hammers, blowtorches and more. These aren't display pieces, they work for me. Most have been purchased at flea markets, tag sales, etc.

I enjoy the history behind the tools, knowing they've done something in their time on this planet.

However, I am a wee bit iffy on estate pipes. Haven't bought a "dead man's pipe" yet, but I can understand the issue, being uncomfortable using it. We'll see.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

No problem smoking them here.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobwills

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all the responses. It's good to know that I'm not the only one a little creeped out by it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two issues, health, which is addressed by sanitizing properly, and legacy, which posits that you are either "smoking someone else's pipe" or smoking the pipe of a dead person. I have only one pipe which I did not buy new, but it is one of my flagship pipes. The former owner is alive, well, and prosperous, so I am hoping that is contagious. I will say, when pipes get some real age on them, twenty years or more, they really do hit their stride. There's breaking in a pipe, and then there is having a pipe attain its full potential over time.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So long as they're clean, estate pipes allow me to purchase pipes otherwise out of my price range. I have zero problem smoking them. For $100, I once licked a movie theater floor so take my opinion with a grain. I think people are too paranoid. While you might feel icky about it, you likely take FAR FAR FAR greater risks on a daily basis.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  43. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nate, you licked a theater floor for a hundred bucks? You are a wild guy. I wouldn't, but I appreciate that you did.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of my Castellos and all of my Dunhills are estates. Would not pay for a new Dunhill with a large 14k gold band. I have the $$$, but I have been very happy with the estate pipes. As noted, estate does not mean "for sure came from a diseased dead man." I like pizza, and just deal with the fact that there are skin cells and e coli, i.e. krap particles in the dough.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To each his own. I have nothing but estate pipes, except my cobs, and I clean and sanitize everyone then send em to Stem and Briar for rejuvenation, Im very confident the are safe and sanitary for reuse.

They are pieces of history and continue to serve as intended

There are many comments to the contrary but like the restaurant reference, or public bathrooms, bowling shoes ete. etc... it all comes down to personal preference.

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  46. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To each his own, but....have any if you ever kissed a girl or shagged a girl sans prophylactic? I can assure you that there were waaaaay more germs exchanged then, than any estate pipe carries. Most germs, microbes etc. need some form of media to live in/on, and once the saliva from the previous owner has evaporated and the leftover schumtz in the stem has dried, there won't be much for the little buggers to live on. What I mean is, most estate pipes are quite dead, germ wise, I know there are still some creepy crawlies in there, but a good Everclear bath will kill the vast majority of them. The rest....well c'est la vie!

P.S. Do any of you have a dog or a cat....do you know where that tongue has been?

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  47. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I buy almost nothing but estates. I can't part with a particular sum of money for a new pipe when I know I could get twice the quality in estates. I only deal with a few sellers I trust. I learned a long time ago that viruses and bacteria can live on a guitar fingerboard for a really long time (I was reinfecting myself). Plenty of people buy and play vintage instruments. Maybe if we called them vintage pipes instead of estate pipes it wouldn't seem so weird.

BTW, I've sold pipes and later saw them sold as estates and I'm still very much alive. Just seemed weird because of that word..estate

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 2 years ago #
  48. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@aldecaker

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Andy- Yeah, I used to think that...

Anyway, this is a weird conversation. It seems a few people are saying, "I don't like estate pipes BUT IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF THE M*&%#@ F&^*$#& GERMS" and the entire rest of the forum says "Great! Let's go off on a huge bender on talking about how estate pipes have no germs and if they do everything else has more germs!". I'm afraid to reiterate the fact that it's NOT BECAUSE OF THE GERMS for fear of fifty more responses about germs.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the late '80s, $100 was a good bit of cash, especially to a high school kid. I was quite happy to lick the floor and likely would've done it for less

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

People used to have picnics in graveyards while visiting the dearly departed. They also used to prop up said relative in the parlor and have home viewings and take pictures prior to burial. I spent most of my youth walking through cemetery to get to the rope swing by the lagoon. So, I've walked over untold graves. Does this make an estate pipe more palatable to those creeped out by it? Hell no. I find this whole thread very interesting. I smoke estate pipes and if you don't like it or can't do it, fine. Obviously many here smoke estates, there are constant threads about them and many make money off them. If you are disgusted by it, simply don't do it. If dead great uncle Jed is mad I'm smoking his pipe, he's more than welcome to complain to me personally. But he won't, he's dead. Can't stomach estates? Don't get them, I won't judge. Everybody has their thing, the line they won't cross. I learned a lot today.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  52. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is like saying, "I don't really feel comfortable dancing on this grave" and having people reply, "Why? There's no cow shit on it".

Personally, I don't have a problem with dancing on a grave. I doubt the guy in it cares very much either. I'd rather not dance in cow shit though.

I understand where you're coming from though, man. I really do. Personal qualms are what they are and there's nothing much to be done for them. On the flip side, it's difficult to rationalize a fear/repulsion/whatever based upon a potential fact that a pipe may have once touched the lips of a man that might be dead now if you don't have that qualm yourself. So, the only rational explanation that can be come up with is that it must be the germs that's turning those guys off.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

My theory is the estate pipe reminds one of their mortality and impending demise.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. orobusto

orobusto

Login to Send PM

This conversation can take pipe ghosting to a new level!

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

Depending on one's eclectic tastes some pipes are only available as estates .Just about everything needs to be washed or cleaned at some point or another . When I smoke old estates I often think of how different the time period from which they come from would have been . The only ghosts I have encountered are from tobacco . Just because I walk around with Kleenex boxes for shoes does make me a germophobic fool .Remember folks salads have killed more people than estate pipes .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 2 years ago #
  56. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good point, @orobusto. I guess we may be smoking with a few ghosts when we enjoy our estate pipes. I'm personally glad it creeps some people out, as it will keep the prices lower that way.

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@piffyr- I think we all accept the notion that an estate pipe is simply a used pipe, and not necessarily the former property of a literal dead man. I think people simply use the phrase "dead man's pipe" to be flip, not accurate. A rational explanation probably won't be found, other than to some, a pipe is considered too much of a "personal item" to be used and re-used by different people. I appreciate an acknowledgement that distaste for estates can be attributed to something other than a piper's lack of knowledge about germs, though. It is a refreshing change.

@mayfair- #1- Thank you for not going off on an educational germ rant that is completely beside the point of this thread. I truly appreciate that. #2- I don't believe that anyone was casting any aspersions toward those who enjoy estates; I believe, in fact, that your suggestions have all been followed, to the letter, before you even mentioned them. I think a guy (bobwills) was simply inquiring as to wether or not anyone else shares his feelings about estate pipes, NOT about PEOPLE WHO ENJOY ESTATE PIPES.

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What are you, a shrink? Why would you even have a theory about something this mundane?

Posted 2 years ago #
  59. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Before you smoke an estate pipe, use your finger tracing out a circular motion on your arm and recite "circle circle dot to dot. Now I have my cootie shot."

Posted 2 years ago #
  60. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

To each his own, but....have any if you ever kissed a girl or shagged a girl sans prophylactic? I can assure you that there were waaaaay more germs exchanged then, than any estate pipe carries.

I was wondering how long it would take for this salient point to be made. When you're being physically intimate with another person, you're being intimate with that person's entire sexual history.

Back to pipes. I have new pipes. I've commissioned new pipes. I have estates. It's all the same to me. My favorite pipes haven't been made for over 50 years, so I'm reliant on estates. Once I've cleaned and sanitized I'm all set. I like the styles and shapes from times gone by. I like the history surrounding pipes, so having vintage pipes is a natural for me. Since my oldest working pipe is from 1882, it's highly likely that one or more of its previous owners is dead, dead, dead. Croaked out. Biting a dirt sandwich. Worm food. So what.

I use previously used things all the time, from aforementioned GF to theater seats, bus seats, public crappers, cars, airline seats, vintage dishes, my grandmother's mixing bowls, DVD's, CD's, antique furniture, etc. I'll happily buy second hand if what I want is no longer made, or if the item is in good working order. Just because I have the money doesn't mean I need to spend it. I don't care. I have nothing to prove. Period.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  61. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Estates are gross, especially Castellos.

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

My theory is the estate pipe reminds one of their mortality and impending demise.

Probably an accurate theory. Since I have some possessions which are several hundred years old, and have probably had several now-deceased owners, I don't worry about it.

I recently bought my first few estate pipes. Once I cleaned them up and smoked them a few times, they feel like "mine." Also, one of them, I purchased from the original still-living owner, so the "dead man's pipe" aspect does not come into play. Even so, the others still feel very much "mine."

Posted 2 years ago #
  63. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If that were an accurate theory, wouldn't anyone who doesn't lovingly embrace estate pipes be paralyzed into agoraphobia by every other antique or heirloom they own?

Posted 2 years ago #
  64. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@mayfair- #1- Thank you for not going off on an educational germ rant that is completely beside the point of this thread. I truly appreciate that. #2- I don't believe that anyone was casting any aspersions toward those who enjoy estates; I believe, in fact, that your suggestions have all been followed, to the letter, before you even mentioned them. I think a guy (bobwills) was simply inquiring as to wether or not anyone else shares his feelings about estate pipes, NOT about PEOPLE WHO ENJOY ESTATE PIPES.

@aldecaker -- Why the grumpy responses to those who don't share your view on why smoking estate pipes is, or isn't, weird?

The question asked was, "Anyone else feel wierd(sic) about smoking an estate pipe?" An entirely reasonable response to this question is, "No." It's also plausible that the no might come with a rationale. This is how we have a dialogue.

While it is true, that a number of folks feel unsettled about the provenance of estate pipes, and get the heebie jeebies when they think about smoking them, still others choose to avoid estates because of perceived health risks. Again, conversation about all of the above, is probably germane to the original question.

I guess I could have answered the question with, "No." But that wouldn't have engendered much response.

-- Pat

Posted 2 years ago #
  65. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Estates are gross, especially Castellos."

I hate all of mine. Have another on the way right now.

"This conversation can take pipe ghosting to a new level!"

Great post.

"Just because I have the money doesn't mean I need to spend it. I don't care. I have nothing to prove. Period."

Yes indeed

Posted 2 years ago #
  66. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hi Pat,

Good to see you. You provide a reasoned balanced voice to threads like this. I really like that.

So, I'll go a different route.

If we're going to search for the deep and possibly troubling psychological reasons behind usedpipeophobia perhaps we should be examining issues besides the fear of mortality. So many speak about not wanting their lips to touch where another man's lips have touched. First off, good luck with that unless your partners are all virgins. But back to the question, could this indicate a fear of "secondary" intimacy. Think secondary smoke, but with sequential bodily contact. Could this suggest a fear of the "love that dare not speak its name"? Hmmmmmm?

Or could it be that some find the idea distasteful and just leave it at that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  67. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi Pat,

Good to see you. You provide a reasoned balanced voice to threads like this. I really like that.

So, I'll go a different route.

If we're going to search for the deep and possibly troubling psychological reasons behind usedpipeophobia

Oh please, for the love of puppies and all that is good in the world, let us not. I just came back, the last thing I need is a double-down on humanity.

-- Pat

Posted 2 years ago #
  68. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let's try and get something straight here. I have not made a single "grumpy response" to anyone based on whether or not they share my view. Not a single one.

I grumped at Swilling because he called me "effete" because I don't share HIS love of estates. Would you like to be called "effete"? And yes, I expect an answer to that question, from you directly, Pruss. It is not a rhetorical question.

I pointed out that it is strange to get extremely off-topics responses unrelated to the subject at hand.

I agreed with Warren on "to each their own", and told Swilling why I was so serious, and it had nothing to do with pipes, estate or otherwise.

I responded to Andy about nothing to do with pipes. I mentioned that I thought the constant germ thing was weird, and mentioned NOTHING about estate pipes or pipers.

You get the picture. Why don't you go ahead and show me where I have "grumped" at anyone because they disagree with me about estate pipes, since you've already accused me of it?

Posted 2 years ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Part of my pipe collection consists of Estate pipes, well over 100. After a proper retort and cleaning your good to go! I'm very comfortable smoking any old/estate pipe AFTER I properly and thoroughly clean it, even one's I purchase that states " ready to smoke out of the box, a full retort and sanitizing has been done professionally ", I still clean and sanitize ALL used pipes. Do you have any idea what you eat within the food items purchased from your local grocer? Or when you eat a meal at any restaurant for that matter. IE: bugs, mouse & rat $hit, hair and yes....even feces. Check this link out and see what our illustrious FDA allows in the food we eat. The same FDA that now has total control of what type/kind and yes...YEAR of tobacco's we will be ALLOWED to smoke!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/15/mouse-poop-fda-food_n_7572232.html

KEEP ON PUFFING, used, garage sale and Estate pipes!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to far off subject, would you marry a divorce' or widow eeeewww!

Posted 2 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, alaskanpiper, 3rdguy, pepesdad1, olkofri, nhhiggy, tobacconut, ashdigger, hugodrax, pitchfork