PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I was smoking a bowl of Condor Long Cut (flake) yesterday that I had allowed to dry out rather more than I prefer and swear I could taste the peppery spiciness of Perique from about the second quarter to the end of the bowl.
This is not the first time this has happened but it was more noticeable this time likely due to the over drying. According to TR.com the contents are listed as solely being Virginia leaf so perhaps I am imagining it.
Anyone else had this experience?
Regards,
Jay.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Condor like a lot of the late Victorian survivors used a heavy topping to make up for low grade tobacco and I would think the inclusion of Perique would certainly make the manufacture of the stuff uneconomic then as well as now. I swear that Condor tastes different now from how it tasted in 1979 and that the cut is different but it still smells the same when you smoke it. Maybe its me, perhaps I am developing 'old timers disease' or worse still wearing my rose tinted spectacles too often. Someone else on here was adamant that it tasted of washing up liquid. Who knows!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I do not think you are tasting Perique, but I think I know what you are describing. I sometimes get that peppery spice from English and Irish tobaccos. I think some of that is down to the "Empire leaf," but I could also come from the topping.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I sometimes smoke Condor, as it is one of the best of the OTC blends in the UK. But I hate perique! I think I would spot it if it were there.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Condor like a lot of the late Victorian survivors used a heavy topping to make up for low grade tobacco and I would think the inclusion of Perique would certainly make the manufacture of the stuff uneconomic then as well as now. I swear that Condor tastes different now from how it tasted in 1979 and that the cut is different but it still smells the same when you smoke it. Maybe its me, perhaps I am developing 'old timers disease' or worse still wearing my rose tinted spectacles too often. Someone else on here was adamant that it tasted of washing up liquid. Who knows!
I am with you Simon, the Gallaher Variation was my favorite, the taste is just not the same. I liked the finer cut before regulations required an increased cut in the thickness,but with all that said, I would still smoke the entire contents of the Titanic if it were loaded with Condor.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
What Simon says actually makes a lot of sense now I think about it. Why include an expensive leaf in a blend only to then cover it in flavourings.
Rather like having the finest Aberdeen Angus fillet steak and smearing brown sauce all over it :roll:
So, no Perique, it's all in my head...thanks chaps.
Regards,
Jay.
PS:I still love the stuff Perique or no Perique.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
A question for you condor smokers

I have only tried Condor plug,which is difficult to get,how much different is ready rubbed/long cut is the hassle of plug worth it?

I can get ready rubbed or long cut when friends visit me from England,I am not sure if I can get plug sent any more with the new rules about cross border shipping in europe

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, for me the three Mighty Condors are graded in flavour intensity from the Ready Rubbed, to the Long Cut (flake) and the Plug. The latter having the most intense flavour.
The plug version is only available in Ireland though the two pouches are available aplenty pretty much anywhere that sells tobacco in the UK.
I started off with the RR but soon moved onto the flake. As for the plug, I have three left that only come out on special occasions :puffy:
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jay.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Jay

yes I ordered 8 plugs last year with no problem from JJ Fox (Ihave 4 left) but i am not sure now if I can ,however I have friends come to Greece several times a year so RR or flake I can get more easily hence the question

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@hawky when I said hassle of the plug i meant obtaining it,I currently have condor.revor G&H dark plug aro and rum and SG FVplug andlove them all.

I plan on getting some bosun or coniston in my next friends visit

Jay my condor RR or flake would be from England as that is where my friends come from,i have no contact with Spanish people LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.