Anyone compare 6mm Balsa filters to 9mm?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi,
I'm interested in buying a Savinelli with the balsa filter. I know the 6mm version is more common in the US than the 9mm, but has anyone compared both side by side. I know the 9mm would probably make more sense if you plan on running the charcoal filters, which I do with my Big Ben. Thanks

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have smoked both 6mm and 9mm pipes without the filters and both smoked great. I am not a filter guy as I believe you lose flavor when you are filtering your smoke through something. I would buy either pipe and just dump the filter.

Dec 24, 2012
Both types of filters make you feel like you are sucking a nipple through a sweater.
Both types smoke great without the filter, however. The one time I have used a filter is when I am smoking an aromatic for the room note. I found that a charcoal filter does make aromatics taste less cloying to me.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hey, just my 2 cents here, but I have a few pipes that I use filters in on occasion. I only use the Savinelli balsa filters in my pipes, depending what tobacco I'm smoking. I've smoked the pipes with the adapter tubes too with most tobaccos, but for some, I appreciate the filter, especially if I'm busy like mowing the lawn and clenching for a period of time. I really don't seem to notice a lot of flavor loss, just a little moisture loss. I use the 6mm filters most of the time, as that's what most of my pipes use. However, one of my pipes uses 9mm filters and I really prefer the 9mm balsa filter to any other 9mm filter I've tried. The charcoal or the crystal filters seem to restrict the draw too much for me. The best of any filter system are the Brigham pipes with their rock maple filter system. Check them out sometime, for a really different filter smoke.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Both types of filters make you feel like you are sucking a nipple through a sweater.
Sounds like a statement from experience! One step away from "Blue Balls"... :rofl:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I would dispute the flavor loss citations. It is very subjective. I find that some tobaccos taste terrible, like ash, unless I use a 9mm filter pipe. That being said, I also like the Savinelli 6mm filter in their line, and enjoy Virginia Perique blends in mine. I use 9mm charcoal filters in my Virginia pipes. I have one olivewood pipe that fits the 9mm balsa filter, and I do not find that it is any less efficient than the 6mm, BUT I do not like the balsa filter as much as the 9mm Big Ben Charcoal filters. I have tried the balsa 9mm in my Virginia pipes, but the best taste and performance were with Castleford and Big Ben filters.

I do enjoy many tobaccos in unfiltered pipes, PS Luxury Twist flake being an example, and I never use a filter pipe when smoking Latakia blends. Hope you find this helpful.

Reactions: crazyhog

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Thanks guys. I was smoking non filtered pipes last year and my asthma started to act up after about 5 months and 3 to 4 bowls a week. I stopped for almost 8 months. I bought a Big Ben with their 9mm filters. I have only smoked 2x and half bowls at that. So far, no negative reactions. I also feel that these filters help with the bite, wetness, excess tar and reduce some impurities from the tobacco. Also reduces some nicotine from your smoke. Also, your own second hand smoke, which we all have to inhale a bit, is cleaner. This is all positives for ME, but I can understand why many others prefer their tobaccos straight up :). Im not one for strong tobaccos in any form. Not sure if the balsa system will do the same, but I'm go into try the 9mm version. This way I have the option of use either. Thanks

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I also wanted to add that the draw is reduced, but to me it's not substantially less. It could be the pipe. I won't, however, be buying any full bends for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.