PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I bought a Chip Carving set along with a box of basswood and a Chip Carving book today. I have always loved carving from days when I was a boy scout and want to eventually carve briar pipes. I figured I would start small with chip carving and work my way up. Get to know how to work with wood in general before I go all out for briar. Any one else here chip carve?
Below is a picture of the kit I bought.
49038-01-500.jpg

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Nice kit. I've done some carving before I prefer to do decoys they're pretty easy and you can get into a lot of detail if you want them to be decorative and guys always want to buy them from me lol. I can't imagine hand carving a pipe; the wood just seems too hard. You could do it with just hand tools but I wouldn't attempt it with just chipping away. good luck to you anyhow sir; I'm sure it will be a labor of love.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
lol, I didn't mean I was going to chip carve a pipe. I am going to learn wood working in general before I invest time and money into carving pipes. I have seen the carving of decoys and it interests me as well, carving decoys and other items. That will be down the road. I am trying to pace my self in the world of wood working. It is easy to invest into a shop full of tool and wood. I can't stress the wallet that much.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Ha... Alright well welcome to the fold! Just remember it's an activity that is very time consuming, just take it slow and enjoy yourself. I recommend starting off with rough shapes or maybe mimicking chainsaw carvings; they are usually pretty rough and easy enough to get you started and you can add more detail if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.