PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have three flakes in my rotation that are topped with rum. Rotary Navy Cut, GL Please Navigator and Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake. Of the three to my tastes the Navigator has the most rum flavor with Rotary and F&T coming in second. My Navigator is now 2 plus years old and the rum flavor has become more pronounced as the Kentucky in it has mellowed due to the aging. I smoke my Rotary usually first or second smoke of the day as it is milder than the other 2 and I love the sweetness with my morning coffee.
So who else is a fan of rum topped blends?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake is amazing, especially with some age on it. These traditional topped blends seem to handle aging much better than Aro's.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I like special brown but don't get any rum from it.
I also like the hogggarth rum flake and the gawith navy flake.

I also like haddo's delight.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Yes! I'm with you on Navigator cigrmaster, I also like Sixpence which has some liquor in it, which I believe to be brandy, but that's imo. I do notice it is getting better and better as the months go by. I'm sure another one of Greg's made to age blends. Navigator just keeps getting yummier all the time as well. I really am looking forward to 10 yrs from now on a lot of recently released stuff.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Allow me to recommend Carole Burns' "Rumcake" blend from Pipeworks & Wilke. It is heavyily spiked, and the volatile honest-to-goodness rum keeps well if the tobacco is jarred immediately upon receipt. As for the taste and aroma - I find it to be delightful!
Here's how Ms. Burns describes it on the Pipeworks & Wilke Website, "Originally prepared as the 1993 Christmas blend, Rumcake proved so popular it was made available year round. This Jamaican rum laced blend is based on a mixture originally made for actor Basil Rathbone. This is the finest rum mixture offered anywhere!"

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
You guys are not much help. I like rum topped flakes and now have greatly added to my want list. The only one I have smoked much of is PS LNF.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Huntertrw likes the P&W Rumcake and so do I, but I like the #515 a little more. That was Basil Rathbone's blend which RumCake was based off. I've never tried Rotary Flake, though maybe some time, I'll get to.

Jan 8, 2013
I am one that likes a bit of rum with my tobacco :) I'm just about to load a pipefull of McClelland Navy Cavendish. Earlier, I dedicated today as a flake day, and I decided to have some Dark Star earlier, to be followed later by Navy Cavendish. If time permits I'll finish the day off with some 2013 Christmas Cheer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my aromatics tobacco-forward, so the flavoring is an accent but not the emphasis. I like Altadis/Sutliff Queen Anne's Revenge, which is a Va/bur/Cav with rum flavoring. The name is the name of Blackbeard's flagship, the rum is the pirate tie-in. I'm mostly a non-aro smoker, but I like this and some other aros as a change of pace.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Rum and maple
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/40052/sutliff-private-stock-maple-street/

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I had a big bowl of macbarens plumcake last night, i think thats the only blend i have with rum in it, its pretty tasty although it needs a fair bit of dry out time.
isaac

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I spent a lot of time over Christmas break with Sutliff's Rum and Maple. It's a delicious blend in which the flavoring is light, and not overpowering.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
The Rum and Maple by Planta is quite popular here.

http://www.cigarworld.de/pfeifentabak/pfeifentabak/rum-amp-maple-pipe-mixture-100-gramm-dose-02003017_951

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I tried some rum twist that someone thoughtfully sent me over Christmas. Its very nice and quite enjoyable. Would I rush out and buy it again? Probably not but I will always try something new and interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.