Anybody watch Ep. 1 of "Taboo" on FX? (No spoilers)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
When the ads came out several months ago that is was a Ridley Scott production I thought, "Okay, I'm interested."
When Tom Hardy was announced as taking the lead, I said, "All in."
Watched the first episode last night and couldn't have been more pleased. It's a period piece - set in London's seafaring 1800's - and it's dark, dirty and dank. There's more than a hint of a previous incestuous relationship between Hardy's character and his half-sister, played by Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter, Oona Chaplin.
Hardy's James Delaney carries himself at half-cock; pissed off at the world and so ready to engage violence upon those in his way. He's scary for sure and tightropes the razor's edge between madness and sanity.
It's quality programming, folks, and well worth a watch.
Fnord
PS: Aside from a late night screening of a Friar's Roast this might be the first time a couple of eff bombs were launched by FX. It's just that gritty and Jonathon Pryce shines in a cameo appearance.

F.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
It is on the BBC over here and the 1st episode was superb.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I watched and recording Seroes, Quality is the word, the attention to detail is astounding, mysterious story, Great Actors, I even recommended it to my oldest Son last night.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
Just watched it. I'm a sucker for period stories, and this ticks off all my boxes. Looking forward watching this tale play out.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I recorded it last night and will watch it tonight so I can FFWD through all of the commercials.

This thread has really got me stoked to watch it!

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
You've sold me. I've just finished up "Black Mirror" (amazing btw!!) and am looking for something new.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you. Missed the first ep, but it's downloading now. In N. CA, Tuesday nights seem to be the show's weekly debut, which now that I think about fnord's post, yesterday noonish, it must have been the night before, e.g., Tuesday there as well.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
It is good. I like the attention to period stuff. I'm not sure if it is the feral nature of Hardy's character which one doesn't normally equate to a London born Englishman, or the fact that he walks like a pro wrestler through the streets, but there is just something a teensy bit off. Not enough that I don't really enjoy it, but still.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
The great thing about Romania is that we have the world's fastest internet connection, and torrents are still legal. I have watched episode 5 a few evenings ago, and trust me friends - if you liked the first episode, you will love how the movie unfolds. It's among the best tv shows I have seen in years ...

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Wow, there you go. Thx for posting the link. Enjoying the show quite a bit. Pretty creative. I think I read that Hardy's father created the concept, but I could be wrong.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The link didn't work in this browser, (Safari) so maybe this one will for others. Does it??
Link to Article.
Dang! Safari won't parse the link at all. Here it is; works in Chrome.....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1219347/Sin-city-Georgian-London-evokes-images-elegance-fine-art--truth-women-prostitutes.html

Status
Not open for further replies.