PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
As a lover of tin art I'm holding off ordering anything new for the collection just now; but has anyone gotten any of the new deFDAced tins in from the major e-tailers? I'm hoping someone will post pictures as I don't know how much leeway there is on covering up the labels and if the different shops will do it differently.
Plugugly

Jun 27, 2016
It says in here http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/tobacco-policies-legislation/new-fda-regulations-how-do-they-impact-the-pipe-world/ that won't be required unless the tobacco was manufactured after 5/18/18. Has that changed? I've dealt with a euro-label and it did not come off without destroying the original label.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Idea! Take pictures of your "Favorites" labels? These can be printed and pasted over the FDA labels. There was a tread on how to do it somewhere for jar lids.
:D

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I just got back from Iwan Reis. Not a single marked tin. They did have a notice up that said due to the new regs they could not offer free samples.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jefff, thanks for the heads up on Iwan Ries. They have an interesting array of blends under the old Three Star series, including a new tub for packaging their 7 oz. Three Star Blue aromatic (but subtly aromatic). The series has been around a long time, so I'm hoping few if any blends will disappear. I'm bracing for how this FDA reg enforcement will be experienced, hoping to go warned before I run into ugly tins, disappeared favorite blends, and jacked up prices. I don't have much patience with the whole concept, but I'm hoping I will discover some of the older blends to my liking, the way I found some oldies that I like in the past, London Mixture for example.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
On the recent PipesMagazine radio show, Brian mentioned that the labeling would start sometime soon. I doubt anyone has made the change now. He said the labels would change as current inventory is exhausted. By his comments, I concluded that most would make the change earlier than required, as inventory dictates.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks ssjones. I posted because Pipes&Cigars customer service,on about the 5th,said all tins shipped the following Monday would have the WARNING! WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! labels attached. And boo on me, I didn't pull the trigger on my order!
Plugugly

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
As a lover of tin art I'm holding off ordering anything new for the collection just now; but has anyone gotten any of the new deFDAced tins in from the major e-tailers?
Apparently they are out there somewhere because I've seen people post pictures where the lower half was gov. labelled. Not gotten one myself.
I sure hope the helpful labels are removable.
I would think they would have to be some sort of stick on label on the tin, if not peeled off, then maybe by soaking (after empty of course).

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I really only have one reference point in that a few years back my cans of snus started coming with added warning labels. I think that change had something to do with the Patriot Act, but I'm not sure? The first cans came with 'easy to remove homemade labels' that allowed you to simply pull the label off and preserve the brand label. About a month later the labels had a stronger adhesive that would tear the brand labels fairly easily. I'm not sure where the labeling of snus cans is currently as I haven't placed an order in sometime, but I imagine we may see something similar; an early, middle, and late phase of warning labels? At first distributors will probably apply some type of self-made label and eventually a standard label will be adopted and applied by manufacturers. I really don't know though, and am only guessing?

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
photo36_zpsj0zpi64w.jpg

Apparently they are out there somewhere because I've seen people post pictures where the lower half was gov. labelled. Not gotten one myself.

You're probably seeing the tins sold in the EU that say "smoking kills" in either English or German. The tins in the picture above from the "Where there's smoke....there's a pile of tins" thread are tins sold in the EU.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
And additionally to these gov.waring texts there is additional ugly pictures waiting to get on all the tobacco and cigarette packages aswell, eventually these all packages will be totally killed in art and decos,so much for nice packages and tins, very a soon all them will be wanished away at least here in europe- Real sad and all this sucks badly shall I say

Now this nightmare is entering the good ol America ,do something If you can,,

I already print out pictures of rotting mouths and cancerous lungs and put them on my tins. It really grosses out the anti's and shows them that their stupid attempts to control me aren't working. I want cancerous rotting lungs tshirts. Hole in throat bumper stickers. And, I want everything I own to say that smoking kills. Just cover my car in it. I love it love it love it. Screw tin art, I want more anti-propaganda.

Heck, I asked the wife to get me one of those electronic throat talker things, so that I can just walk around sounding like a scary throat cancer guy.

I will embrace their propaganda. I will not succumb to it. Hating it, is just showing them that it's working.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Based on the current size of my cellar, I won't have to buy a defaced tin for over 40 years.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I like nice tin art, but I only have so much space for collecting tins, and I'm not about to buy tobacco just for the labels. I usually end up using empty tins as coffee coasters. But I am offended that we have to pay the FDA for this gross offense, and I'd be a lot happier if I didn't have to look at it!
If you love label art, you can probably find any unadulterated label online. Choose "Images" after tapping the blend name into your search engine, and chances are you'll find it there, and you can print it out. Somebody may even have a website dedicated to that passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.