PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm intrigued by the weirdness of the Nording Harmony series, with their eclectic prints (there's one in particular I have my eye on but I'm not linking to it so it doesn't get snatched up!). Supposedly it's a secret how Mr. Nording gets the prints onto the briar. I'm wondering if anybody here owns one and can speak to how the print holds up with time related to patina, hand oils, fading, peeling, etc. Thank you!
002-508-3949.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Harmony line is a bit gauche for my taste, but Nording makes a great pipe, so know you'll be getting quality if you decide to pull the trigger. :wink:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If he ever decides to put Salvador Dali's clocks on one though, I may actually grab one.

Jan 8, 2013
I love my Nordings. From lowest grade to highest, they are all wonderful pipes.... but good God, I hate the look of those Harmony series pipes. Rest assured however, that you will be getting a fantastic smoking pipe, regardless of the beauty or (in this case) lack thereof. Seriously though, if you dig it, buy it. Nordings are fantastic. :D

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Yes. I posted an image of it here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/your-smoke-in-pictures#post-984162

Now the cut of the bowl is different, but the white paint did bubble. You can make out three bubbles -- under the large feather above the ridge at the front of the bowl.

Very nice pipe, and the artwork is intact.

I believe it's a printed shrink wrap that is heated to encompass the pipe. I saw one recently, very cool, but I have hesitations about smoking something with a plastic coating. If someone has one and has no problems with it, I'd love to hear that the plastic is not an issue. My fear is that eventually the smoke would discolor the plastic and it would start pealing off. I hope that I am wrong.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Snowyowl, thanks for that insight! Bubbling to that degree wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Has the white gotten smudged at all from handling?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the unfinished Nording signature pipes. They develop their own intriguing shading and seem totally authentic. No plastics to worry about, and they seem to breathe. They aren't as eye catching when new, but they certainly develop in cooperation with the owner, which is pleasing.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I have both an unfinished Nording and the Harmony. The unfinished block has developed a nice patina.
If a shrinkwrap techology is used on the Harmony line that bodes well, as that is most often used on metal vehicle surfaces: so field tested for sun, heat & ultraviolet (from the outside anyway).
The bubbling I described in the earlier post w/link to an image is a bit disappointing, but the bubbles when hot and then cool are quite rubbery to the touch. I can push them down, but they don't go away. I don't think they will crack open... unless it gets a bubble so big it reaches an edge. So unlikely.
The rest of the surface has the feeling of having a shiny coating that will resist oils and friction... I think it will wear well.
These are my observations actually having one of these bad boys fired-up and in-hand. Looks great and overall I'm very pleased.

===
Milan Tobaccanists in VA had one with the feathers, but sold it. I missed out. I asked them to find me another one and they did! Discounted price, free shipping, oh boy.

https://www.milantobacco.com/erik_nording_harmony_pipes.htm

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I like the unfinished Nording signature pipes. They develop their own intriguing shading and seem totally authentic. No plastics to worry about, and they seem to breathe. They aren't as eye catching when new, but they certainly develop in cooperation with the owner, which is pleasing.

+1 MSO. I like the signatures also, even though some will point out they are lower quality than "real" Nordings, that has not been my experience.

My one bit of advice would be to sand off the coating. Maybe it's just me but I don't like the coating he uses. Some I don't mind, but the Nording brand's coating really leaves a foul taste in my mouth for the first 3-4 bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.