PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
I am looking for a cool tamper.On youtube I saw a cool dragons tooth.Does anyone have any good suggestions or know where I can get a nice unique tamper?Websites,online stores..

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I think potentially ebay is a good idea too - Many tampers were mind without tamping in mind, golf tees and the likes.
Anything can have a small coin (a dime or a 5p piece) glued to the end and made quite cool!

swmalone

Lurker
May 21, 2014
I have some standard tampers/tools, the the czech and one shaped like a pipe, but one of the cooler things I ended up receiving in a lot of pipes I purchased from ebay. It is a small boar tusk, I haven't actually used it to determine how functional it is but it is pretty cool looking.

Wow, I'm honored to have been suggested. Thank you, gentlemen.
I do metal and lapidary work. And, I've made a few tamps. I have worked with boars tusks, antler, bone, and teeth, of various animals and such. I could definitely work with dragon parts, but you'll have to catch the dragon. That's out of my area of expertise, ha ha.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Any reasonably spent cartridge, roofing nails in copper or a length of wood doweling with a dime screwed or glued onto it seem to work. I stopped buying tampers in 1991 after losing three in a week. These days people who know me well don't buy me things like tampers as I am certain to lose it within about 8 seconds of getting it! I did use my secretaries lip stick case as a tamper which resulted in her going ape on me!

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
i have a gutter nail in my tool box that works in a pinch.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
+1 Condor. Golf tees for me, got a bag of 50 just for tampers; I don't even golf any more. Last week I picked up a couple of spent .303 British shells at a family shoot but I've already lost them...

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Raccoon penis... Ha! My High School mascot was "The Coons". Only one in the U.S., but 15 years or so after I was gone, political correctness took a hold on everything and the mascot was changed to "The Raccoons". Name change made zero sense, but back on topic (sorta). All of the guys in FFA worn raccoon penises on their hats. Would make for a kinda small tamper IIRC. :?

Aug 14, 2012
A pipe nail costs under a dollar and does the job. You can make one by pounding out the pointed end of a large headed nail.

Status
Not open for further replies.