Anybody else use metal toy soldiers as tampers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
I buy metal toy soldiers at flee markets and antique stores...usually a buck or two and clean them up, reshape the base and then paint.

English for English pipes, French for French and usually Romans for Italian (never found an Italian solder).

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i saw you mention that on the tamper making thread Stryder. I remember having alot of those old soldiers as a kid... Now I'm sure if I come across some I will be thinking tamper, tamper, tamper.
How about some pics sir?

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
I would if I could figure out how. I spent 2 hours jacking around with it for the tamper exchange and finally gave up....dawg loaded for me.

I am fairly computer literate but the loading of pictures is giving me #€||!!!

I wish I could just copy and paste or we had an attachment button.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
use imageshack to store and host your photos. once they are uploaded all you have to do is copy the code for sharing and paste it.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
i would exercise care here- many old toy metal soldiers used lead-based paints, some of which might transfer into the tobacco and into you...although the amount of lead ingested would be tiny, it could amount to a lot if done over years and years.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
What a neat idea. One more thing to keep an eye out for at estate sales and flea markets.

I really can't see lead as a concern considering how the tamper is used but a sensible caution all the same.
I've been using photobucket, free, for a few years now. No problems, as spartan sez "stupid easy" and that's just what I need! Set up an account with photobucket and I or many others here can get you posting pics in short order stryder.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
Because Spartan sent what could be seen as a challenging note....

My laptop fell apart after simply falling about 4 feet, go figure, I am buying a new one. I am also digging out my SLR and will be going through the tutorial on photobucket.

I was trying to do this on my iphone.

Pics to follow in a week or sooner.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Hey that is a neat idea! I think I have some of those metal toys back home!
I would just strip the paint and repaint it if you are worried about lead! I think it would be fun little project.

Status
Not open for further replies.