Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Anybody Bought From great-estate-pipes on the Bay?

(40 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hoosierpipeguy
  • Latest reply from joeman
  1. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Won one of their auctions on Wednesday. Haven't heard a word from them, it doesn't appear that they even have accepted my payment for a Todd Johnson pipe I paid for within 15 minutes of the auction ending. Haven't responded to a message I sent to them either. Someone might say they could be away or whatever but why would someone start an auction and then be away for an extended period at the time it ended?

I am tempted to cancel the PayPal payment but perhaps that is what they're wanting. I got what I thought was a pretty good deal on the pipe. Further, that could be playing into their hands as they could then turn around and complain to Ebay that I was a bad buyer. First real problem I've had purchasing a pipe on Ebay. Perhaps I should just feel lucky with that record.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chance Whittamore is 100% reliable.

Don't worry, it's a technical issue or similar... you are not being messed with.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mark, Chance of Great Estate pipes is an excellent ebay seller. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with him. I have bought from him a couple of times and know plenty of others who have used him.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've bought from him, first rate.

Doc

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree with all the above. Have bought a few times from him. No worries.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd buy from him if he posted more pictures and better ones. Until then I scan and move on.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I appreciate the validations. One of the values of a forum like this. I'm not being impatient, I have plenty of pipes to smoke. Just get concerned when someone does something totally different than other people. I hope something bad hasn't happened to him.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. renfield

renfield

Login to Send PM

I’ve bought from them several times without a problem. Most recently was maybe 6 months ago.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaygreen55

Login to Send PM

I just won my 5th pipe from Chance last week ( a gorgeous unsmoked Paul Perri stacked bent billiard) I've never had any problems with a transaction and never been disappointed with a pipe

My only problem with him is that his photography is overexposed by a stop or 2 making the pipes look lighter in color than they really are. I don't know if this is a result of poor technique or a deliberate attempt to make the pipes look newer than the are since they darken with age

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just get concerned when...
    So easy to do when ordering online from Ebay or a retailer, etc., when there seems to be a delay. For me, what happens is, at first I get a little worried, and nervous, and then I start pacing and continuously stopping to check the status online, and then I start scratching. Then I begin pulling my beard and hair, and then I scream in anguish and tear my clothes. Next thing you know, I'm the talk of the town as "that crazy guy who ran up and down Main Street, buck naked shaking his fist and cursing the heavens and crying." I mean... they just don't get it.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

My purchase from them was trouble free.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My only problem with him is that his photography is overexposed by a stop or 2 making the pipes look lighter in color than they really are. I don't know if this is a result of poor technique or a deliberate attempt to make the pipes look newer than the are since they darken with age.

Nothing deliberate going on. Chance spent a day in my shop a few months back, and taking better photos was on the menu. For logistical reasons he decided to "dance with the girl what brung him" and stick to what he knew after seeing what was involved, though. (A major consideration was that space for lighting umbrellas & etc. was lacking in his multi-kid household).

Anyway, what you see just happens to be what he gets from his limited setup. "Deception by shitty photo" isn't part of his strategy in any way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't see any problem with Chance's photo's. To my eye they are a hell of a lot better than treasurepipes. At least I can see the grain clearly in Chance's pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

He’s a great seller on EBay.. I wouldn’t worry.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

A seller doesn't "accept a payment" on Ebay. The buyer completes the payment and that's the end. Are you sure that you completed the payment? Early on, I didn't and so the buyer of course didn't receive payment and messaged me a few days later, asking if I was going to pay. (I also don't even see a Todd Johnson pipe that he has listed any time recently)

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ebay says I paid. I’ve sent him 2 messages on eBay. Given the lack of response, I’m certainly not going to try to pay a second time. If he hasn’t been paid, all he needs to do is tell me and he’ll be paid in minutes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, it was a Briar Works pipe he bought, made by Todd.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ebay pipe

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's certainly a lovely pipe. I wouldn't worry too much. I know, easier said than done, right? There's probably a legitimate reason for the delay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Got an unsmoked Don Carlos volcano from them a few years ago. Great service and no issues.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

That is a great looking pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no concerns at this point based on the feedback I’ve seen on this thread. Thanks to all. I wanted to understand before going off half cocked and causing the seller problems with eBay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]That is a great looking pipe.

Thank you. I really like it, was surprised to see it sell for that price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

gnarlybriar

Login to Send PM

If I remember correctly, Chance mentioned to me about a month ago that he was going to the St. Louis show. believe that he drives to shows (with pipes to sell), and therefore is probably completely out of town. However, as much integrity as Chance has, he SHOULD have enlisted some way to have the pipes sold whilst away to be sent. Or, not listed pipes at all until returning. Or, perhaps included a note to the effect that he would not return to send pipes won until such and such a date, all in my opinion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup. That's ^^^ it. The St.Louis show is happening right now, and it's three days driving each way from CA.

In other words, no worries, Guy, Hoosier type, Pipe version, one each.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chance mentioned to me about a month ago that he was going to the St. Louis show.

He was at the show today and it was very busy pretty much all day and I saw him doing buying pipes too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, mystery completely solved. LOL I’ll drop him a third message letting him know all is good thanks to his friends at the forum.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chance responded today. Payment was received, pipe shipping today. All is good, thanks for the feedback.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got one communication from this guy, said he was traveling but had taken the pipes with him and was shipping it out. That was last Tuesday. Still no pipe. I sent him 3 messages at Ebay asking for a status and a tracking number. No response to date but a tracking number number showed up yesterday on the item. It was delivered. Unfortunately, it appears to have been delivered somewhere in Cave City, KY and I live 200 miles North of that near Indianapolis, IN.

I'm glad those who spoke up for this guy had positive experiences. I would never purchase from him again. He has shown himself to be totally negligent with very poor, almost non existent communications. I guess the traveling is a good excuse for not communicating, perhaps he doesn't have a smart phone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man, now I am sorry I vouched for the guy. I'll remember this going forward. I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction, because the situation does sound pretty unacceptable.

Doc

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doctorbob, you could only respond based upon your own experience. If the guy would simply make a good faith attempt to properly communicate, I could be very patient with him. I can’t help but wonder if he’d show equal patience to someone who won one of his auctions then failed to pay or communicate for almost two weeks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know Chance. He's been in my shop. He's been in the pipe resale business a long time, and is quite dedicated and serious about it.

Based on this thread it appears something has gone sideways in his personal/family situation, or in a technical one. He does everything related to the business himself, meaning EVERYTHING is a single point of failure. Multi-person businesses can adapt to and cover for unforeseen circumstances, a soloist can't.

In short, if the purchase described by this thread is now Chance's "new normal," I will be astonished. I think it is far more likely either some sort of perfect storm of technical/procedural errors, or a personal emergency.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sincerely hope it is not a personal or family catastrophe, a pipe is rather insignificant by comparison. It’s just that his only response did not involve a family catastrophe and was quite tardy. I have refrained from reporting this to EBay as I don’t wish to cause the guy a bunch of grief. Just hoping someone here who knows him better reads this and reaches out to him to take some positive action.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thats disappointing and uncharacteristic of him, sorry you had to be the one guy. Keep us posted, it better be good explanation and not "I was busy". We're all busy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Al. In my last message today, I told him I was filing a complaint with eBay if I didn’t hear from him. Mysteriously, he found an internet connection again and responded. The package is apparently moving again but now is in Oklahoma. He somehow saw that as a positive. On my end, moving from 200 miles to 800 miles away isn’t very positive. LOL The guy has a family and apparently makes some fair amount of his income from eBay. So I’m hesitant to cause him a lot of grief there over a hundred dollar pipe. Hopefully, the pipe will eventually arrive in my hands.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe arrived today. It shipped on 2/21. It is addressed properly but it is impossible to tell why it ended up taking the circuitous route that it did. I suppose a screw up by USPS.

I must say, the pipe is gorgeous, the picture doesn't do it justice. It passes a pipe cleaner with zero resistance. Appears to be drilled perfectly. I am looking forward to smoking it but if it smokes close to how it looks. Todd Johnson will be seeing more of my business.

All of this drama could have been easily avoided with a little planning by Chance and a little more conscientious effort at communicating. However, no harm, no foul and no damage to Chance at eBay.

Thanks to those who helped fill in the gaps on what was going on with Chance. That gave me the confidence to have the patience to give this thing a chance to play out. It's also good to know that Chance did not have an accident or serious problems with a family member.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is addressed properly but it is impossible to tell why it ended up taking the circuitous route that it did. I suppose a screw up by USPS.

I once watched the tracking of a package I'd sent from Kansas City to Indiana first go to Florida, then to Texas, and then sit for several days. Then it came back to life and proceeded normally to Indiana.

The USPS is astonishingly good and reliable when you consider the volume they handle. When a parcel strays outside their system's procedural/automated boundaries and requires special "recovery handling" (for lack of a better term), it can take a while to set right, though.

It sounds like something similar happened to your pipe at exactly the wrong time, when Chance was on the road & etc. A perfect storm of sorts.

Glad it turned out OK in the end. (I knew it would. ) And yes, he does good work, doesn't he? "Better than the pics!" indeed... If only someone would show him how to up his photo game.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If only someone would show him how to up his photo game.

The only good news is that I would have never been able to purchase the pipe for the price I did if the photos had been presented properly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

A good outcome! Sometimes bad pix does equate to a good buy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. joeman

joeman

Login to Send PM

I've learned this same lesson. We all want our pipe quickly...we expect good communication from sellers...and quick payment from buyers. As a buyer / seller since 2001...I've watched as the USPS took my item (both sending and receiving) for a wild ride before it was finally delivered. And after all of these years...still not a single one permanently lost. But, I've had to learn patience. And to echo George...most of us estate sellers do it alone...the entire process. So the "single point of failure" rings very true. If something happened to me...not even my wife would know who's waiting on a pipe.

JoeMan
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   haparnold, methomp, pitchfork