PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I recently obtained an S Bang for a lot less than others i've seen. I was just wondering if I just got a pipe that slipped through or did I miss something?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yup correct! This is the only S Bang I've seen of his go for under a grand. I've bought many of his pipes. I understand it's still an expensive pipe, but not for this brand.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
If you do your home work you can get them in the 5 to 6 hundred dollar range. I have 5 and the lowest price if I remember is 400$ and the highest is 800$. Got one with a bad shank repair a Giant Billard for 125$ and Mike Meyers banding it for me. If I am looking right yours has Noltemeniser the carvers initials on the shank.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
All on the Bay with the exception of the 800$ one I bought from Mike at Briar Blues. Mike is a good man to deal with and his prices are some of the best. I am no expert I just smoke em.

Dec 24, 2012
Nice pipe. I grabbed an unsmoked Bang from pipestud a year or so back for just under 800. There are deals to be had if you look around. I think you did well. I would typically expect a grade 8 to go for 900 or so in good pre-smoked condition.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
You guys are scaring me. Got my for I think less then $200.....
It's from Danish pipe shop online.

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
Danish Pipe shop is very reliable. They also tend to be cheaper if they have the older Copenhagen stamp, as the pipes were made by a selection of carvers originally.

I got an estate Bang from them for around $200 earlier this year.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Treasure Pipes is one of the good guys in the hobby/Ebay. Sometimes his auctions slip thru unnoticed (good for you!). I picked up a Jack Howell earlier this year for a song, the pipe was pristine and service excellent.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I picked up a Jack Howell earlier this year for a song, the pipe was pristine and service excellent.
Al, i was watching that auction and it just slipped through the cracks and i forgot to bid on it and watch it in the final minutes, lol. I saw what it went for and could have kicked myself, but i am glad it went to a scholarly gentleman such as yourself! Oh well, there is ALWAYS another auction to score on. I FINALLY won a barely used one owner Ashton XXX pebble that went largely unnoticed. It is coming in the mail tomorrow and i will be sure to make a post about it.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Danish Pipe shop is very reliable. They also tend to be cheaper if they have the older Copenhagen stamp, as the pipes were made by a selection of carvers originally. - Oakbear
Actually, that pipe has the old "Kobenhavn" stamp and the grade number 8 indicates it was made for the European market and may be a filter pipe (although not necessarily). Collectors tend to stay off of those a bit because the Bang boys sent their best stuff to the USA in those days. That pipe was carved though by Ulf as his initials are on that one. So, you know its a quality pipe.
Best,
Pipestud

Reactions: Ben.R.C

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I read this online... Is it not accurate?

"Once Hansen and Noltensmeier took over the company (in 1984) they knew it was best to retain the S. Bang name - the two carvers always shared the same philosophy about that. Noltensmeier and Hansen were determined to maintain top quality at the expense of increased numbers. The only change they made concerns the stamping on the pipes changing from the English version "COPENHAGEN" to the Danish "KOBENHAVN"."

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Please don't defer to me, I don't know what I'm talking about 3/4 of the time. And I need to offer a public apology because I mis-stated the K vs. C thing. I got it backwards. So, that pipe is actually a newer version. But, it is a European graded pipe with the number 8 grade stamp (I think they grade them 5 through 9 and then A through D in Europe). I don't think they use the European grade stamp anymore... but again, I could certainly be wrong.
Apologies again,
Pipestud

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'd like to jump the bandwagon and say that I know FAR less than any of you. If ignorance was a guy he'd be named me.

Status
Not open for further replies.