Any Value in Keeping the Pipe Level While Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
This may fall into the category of over-thinking, but it recently occurred to me that there might be some value in trying to keep the pipe level while smoking, as well as while lighting. Any of you ever put any thought into such things? It seems like it would contribute to a more even burn and building of cake. With that said, it's not always the most comfortable; it's nice to just let the pipe hang from your jaw lazily. Worth the extra effort or screw it?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I try to keep the bowl of the pipe perpendicular to the ground. Heat rises and anything in its path will catch more of that rising heat. I do not think it is coincidence that some of the estate pipes I have purchased have the most severe heat damage at the rear of the tobacco chamber - think of a clenched pipe dangling such that heat collects against that portion of the chamber. Am I an OCD sufferer? Yes. Do my pipes benefit from my affliction? I like to think so. Got to go check the stove now...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does that mean that to properly smoke a zeppelin pipe you have to lie on your back? :mrgreen:

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I can see the value of keeping level when lighting but do I really care? Absolutely not. I certainly don't give an ants dropping while I am smoking it.
I think that perhaps that you are over thinking it but I prefer a dedicated over-thinker to dedicated non-thinker that's for sure.
At the end of the day pipes are for smoking. Look after them by all means but if one is worried about burning and caking the inside chamber at different rates then I would say purchase a pipe cheap enough that you too won't give an ants crap about keeping it level :wink:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I keep my pipe at a perfect 90 degree angle for the entire time I smoke. I never let it get to an 89 degree angle as then my cake would be so uneven I would have to beat my head against the wall for a good 5 minutes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I only worry about it while lighting, so as to minimize any darkening or scorching of the bowl rim.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Only while lighting. Otherwise I try to compensate for Altitude as well as the Coriolis Effect; one can never be too cautious.

In the Southern Hemisphere, does one need to smoke with the bowl inverted?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
@jpmcwjr: Touché.
So in which direction would the smoke or match flame vortex spin as it rose from the bowl in each hemisphere, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Would the rotation be faster at the poles?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pretty sure the rotation at the poles would be very slow, fastest on the equator; as to the direction of the smoke whorls, same as toilets!

Status
Not open for further replies.