PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
One of my employees loves this stuff but am wondering if would go well with a pipe. Disclaimer: I know almost nothing about booze (whiskey, scotch, burbom, rum, whatever). I wouldnt know a double malt scotch from a double malt chocolate shake. Thinking of trying some of this Pappy stuff.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Uh, you should try that and savor every drop. It's one of the best bourbons you can taste. Almost as hard to find as Stonehaven, too.

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
Pappy is ultra top-shelf.
Living in Louisville for the past ~12 years I have become somewhat of a bourbon connoisseur.
Booker's is my favorite, Woodford Reserve is up there, Bulleit and Blanton's rounding out the Top 4.
Maker's Mark, Four Roses, Knob Creek, and Buffalo Trace would also be considered 'top-shelf', and also all great.
Jim Beam when I'm out bar hoppin'. Only drink bourbon these days re hard stuff, otherwise I'm throwing back Stouts and Porters. Anything DARK.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Uh, you should try that and savor every drop. It's one of the best bourbons you can taste. Almost as hard to find as Stonehaven, too.
Thats what he said too. Said it was very top shelf and he saves it for special occasions. I wonder where I can find some.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
You can find it online but expect to pay nearly $200 for it. There are some places that you can get a bottle for around $100 +- but that is rare now. 15 years ago I could find it everywhere and not too expensive but since it gets written up in the mags it has skyrocketed. Also try George t Stagg, which is easier to find and in MHO just as good if not better. My Whiskey and whisky cellar have over 100 bottles, I try to do a tasting every night, and post in What are You Drinking.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Ahh, my dad received a bottle as a gift, but he gave it too a sick friend (Parkinson's) who would really enjoy it. He's said he wished we could enjoy together, but I told him he did the right thing giving it away.
I would like to try it someday, as others have said: its pretty high up in quality and price!
I do like woodford! And moving to KY in the summer, I will definitely go on some Bourbon tours. I had heard 4 roses (single barrel) was worth trying too.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
There's this guy I know, a fairly well-known Buddhist author and translator of Chinese poems who swears that Pappy's enables him to do much better translations -- capturing the spirit of the poem instead of just the literal meaning of the words. Must be something to it. :wink:

Aug 1, 2012
Only ever gotten hold of one bottle of Pappys but it was the best American whiskey I've ever had. I would not have it with a pipe because the pipe tends to dull my sense of taste and you don't want to miss a drop of that taste.

Aug 1, 2012
I was thinking this would be a pipe thing but I guess not eh?
Personally...no. I won't fault you if you want to try it but it is one of those experiences that I would let stand alone. If you want a nice pipe whiskey, go with the younger Rip Van Winkle's or the Van Winkle's 12.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Also try some Bookers. Noe Booker was Jim Beams great grandfather, and is much sweeter than Beam. It is very high on proof so a bit of branch is welcome. Elijah Craig 12 is also worth a dram.

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
Also try some Bookers. Noe Booker was Jim Beams great grandfather, and is much sweeter than Beam. It is very high on proof so a bit of branch is welcome. Elijah Craig 12 is also worth a dram.
Yeah, Booker's kindof has a slight caramelly taste IMO. That's why I like it so much.
Many great bourbons out there, and they all get the job done!
I had heard 4 roses (single barrel) was worth trying too.
Definitely. Friend brought a bottle to this past Super Bowl party. It didn't last long.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I love bourbon and Pappy is good but there are many more that are just as good and way less expensive...just my two cents. My favorite to drink neat is Buffalo Trace, but its not barrel proof.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
This is an interesting thread that brings up a couple of extra questions. Zon, I don't mean this to be a hijack either.
I first heard of Pappy Van Winkle last year on "Justified." The season long creep villain, Neal McDonough's superb bad guy, Robert Quarles, took a liking to it and mentioned it during several episodes. (I researched the name and have never, ever been able to find a bottle of that particular brand of holy water.)
Now, on the latest episode of "Justified" there was a party scene and Jimmy Russell's name was mentioned. That was quickly followed by another line of dialogue containing "Rare Breed or Reserve." I hit the pause button and had a short conversation with one of my sons about product placement in TV shows and movies.
Would one of the hardest to find bourbons in the U.S. pay serious coin to have their name mentioned in a quirky law enforcement show like "Justified"? Just as importantly, would Wild Turkey do the same?
Fnord

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Pappy is really quite good with few equals. But - value for what you get is not as good as some other single barrel and small batch bourbons. Personally, I find Blantons to be the best bang for the buck in the ultra fine bourbons. Smooth as silk and every bit as good as Pappy, for a quarter of the price. I keep Blantons for good occasions and Jeffersons Ultra Small Batch for every day sippin'. Neat of course. Both Blantons and Jeffersons are smooth and have very little burn. Hard to beat those two. Now, if you want to have a fine bourbon that will absolutely get your attention, try Knob Creek. At 100 proof, it's a man's drink for sure.

bb

Status
Not open for further replies.