PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just got a tin of Christmas Cheer and can't wait to dig into it. The smell is just incredible. Anyway I've never smoked flakes before but watched plenty of YouTube videos about the 'fold and stuff' method and 'rubbing out' method.
The flakes I've seen used are rather large when compared to the McClelland. But is the process pretty much the same you just use 2 flakes say? I'd like to keep the flakes somewhat intact as that is supposed to enhance the flavour (or so I've heard).
Any tips or suggestions are welcomed!

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Mike,
With a flake there are many variations one might use. Folding the flakes is just one. As the tin is a 100 gram size you will have enough to try a variety of techniques. You can take some of the flakes and fold, stuff and light. You might also "crumble" the flakes in a sort of fold method, fill and light. You may also full rub out the flakes into as thin a cut as you prefer. Another excellent option, which I like with McClellands, as the flakes tend to be thick cut, or thicker than say Escudo or Dunhill Light Flake, is to chop the flakes into small cubes. Gravity fill, and light. You may find each method offers some different flavor profiles. Find the one or ones that work best for you.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler
ps I have also heard of some using a coffee grinder to "chop / powder" the flakes, but I don't recommend the technique.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I know there are plenty of much more experienced pipers than I am that endorse the fold and stuff method... I just can't get that to work out on a consistent basis. Way too many re-lights.
I've found that when I rub em out and let em dry out a bit that my experience overall is much more enjoyable, lights easier, burns better and fewer re-lights... And for me that's the key.
ymmv

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I am still learning, but so far my preference is to rub out the tobacco. I also find that it makes the precious stuff 'go farther'.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
There are many ways to go about this and everyone seems to have a prefered method. I see many here seem to like cube cutting and that's fine, there is no right or wrong way but I personally dislike that technique most of all. If it's your first foray into flakes I would recommend rubbing them out for the first few bowls and until you have an idea what the blend is about. After that, experiment and see what works best for you. Most of the tobacco I consume is flake and I mostly rub them out but I tend to not rub them out thoroughly as I prefer to keep a some of the slow-burning characteristics of compressed tobacco. Not all flakes are created equal though. Some do get folded and stuffed.
In the end, you're going to have to work all this out for yourself buddy because it's a preference thing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I were smoking Christmas Tree I would just stuff it in the bowl as is. I use a 3 to 4 step method filling it. I keep adding pressure each time I fill it until I have some good resistance before lighting it up. If you fill it too loosely you will get a hot smoker.
When I cube cut something like Dunhill Flake I will cube cut it into larger cubes and used my 3 to 4 step method until I get the resistance I am looking for. When I smoke outside I will normally do a fold and stuff as it burns slower and in the wind a bowl can smoke too quickly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like to rub it out because to my mind or imagination it wakes up the flavor, but many prefer the stuff and fold and other methods. With food spices, you often break them up to bring up the taste. Also I feel breaking it up gives a more even burn. Probably my other flake techniques are not so expert.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I ran into the same thing with St. Bruno flakes. Smaller flakes than what I am accustomed. At first I rubbed a couple of flakes out but I had a bit of tobacco left over. My solution was to find a pipe bowl that fit the size of the flake. Now I fold and stuff with a smaller bowl or a larger bowl, depending on the size of the flake. I'm not expert enough to know if it changes the flavor but it works for me.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all the input guys!
I originally thought about just rubbing it out, but set that aside as the other techniques looked interesting. I think I will definitely try with that first and see where it goes.I've got a brand new Vauen all ready to go for this, and the bowl is a little small. So its perfect for the smaller flakes.
Like so many things pipe related it is a trial and error thing I guess!
The cubing method is promising. What do you use to cut it? Just scissors?

Jan 8, 2013
The cubing method is promising. What do you use to cut it? Just scissors?
Just make sure you cut the cubes big enough that they don't get sucked into the draught hole.
Yup. I actually have a pair set aside solely for that purpose.
I want to get some fancy pantsy scissors for this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine are Fiskars snips with titanium blades. Not particularly fancy, but used for nothing else as well.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Try for yourself the different methods here described. Interestingly if you go to McClelland site they have a page on how to prepare flakes and they reccomend rubbing them out. I also find rubbing in relatively big chunks and drying is the best option for me as the flavor is similar to fold and stuff but with a better combustion with fewer relights. But as said try yourself the different methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.